Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Fear - 28


"Ready to get moving?" Gene asked as he walked into Shawn's hospital room.

"I think so." Shawn got up carefully, his ribs protesting the move as they had for the last few days when the nurses had made him walk the corridors to work on his stamina. He looked at the wheelchair and the nurse behind it and grimaced. "Can't I walk out under my own steam?"

"Nope," she replied with a smile. "Hospital policy. God forbid you should trip and fall and end up back in bed again before you get out the front door."

Shawn's lips curled up in a small grin. "I could sue for all the hospital's worth."

"Exactly. So sit and I'll chauffeur you out of this joint."

When they were outside the hospital Gene pointed out his car in the parking lot. Shawn grinned. "I know. Remember, I've worked on it---a lot. You need to get a new one."

"You sound just like Max," Gene grumbled as they walked to it. He unlocked the doors, watching carefully as Shawn eased into the passenger seat before getting in himself. "Next stop, home."

"Can we…?" Shawn asked hesitantly. When Gene looked at him in question, he said, "Can we go by the trailer? I should… My things should still be there. I mean other than the clothes you brought me."

Gene nodded, pulling out of the lot. As they got closer to their destination, Shawn began to tense up, glancing out the windows almost fearfully. What if he's there waiting for me. What if he's not? What if… The thoughts kept circling through his head so when Gene touched his shoulder he jumped in surprise.

"I highly doubt he'll be there," Gene said, almost as if he'd read Shawn's mind.

Taking a deep breath, wincing when his ribs protested, Shawn said, "I know. In my head, I know. But my emotions… Well, I guess I keep hoping he will be and that he'll have changed somehow."

"A nice dream, but not realistic, I'm afraid." By then they'd turned off the highway into the trailer park.

4 comments:

  1. Aaarrrrkkkkk.... stop stopping! Lol I’m in love! Need more! I know I know it’s coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting nervous as well. I want Shawn happy.

    ReplyDelete