Friday, July 12, 2019

Fear - 33


"Doctor Collins," Robin, Gene's receptionist said from his office doorway, "Shawn Mathews is here to see you. He doesn't have an appointment though, so I thought I'd check with you first."

"When's my next patient due?"

"In fifteen minutes. It's Mrs. Smith."

Gene rolled his eyes. "What's the disease of the week this time?"

"Cat scratch fever. She says she got it from Mr. Wilkins' kitten and she's sure that's what it is because she's got a headache, chills, a backache, and her stomach hurts."

"We have to keep her away from the damned computer. At least she didn't go for something like malaria. All right, send Shawn in and when she gets here, take her to exam room one."

Shawn appeared a minute later, saying somewhat apologetically, "I only have a few minutes before I have to be back at work."

"Is something wrong? Are your ribs bothering you too much?" Gene asked, looking for any signs Shawn was in pain.

"Oh no. No. Nothing like that. I just… I wanted to thank you and I didn't get the chance to yesterday because you left so quickly and I wanted to know if maybe you'd let me buy you dinner to show you how glad I am you were there and…" At that point he seemed to run out of steam, twisting his hands together as he looked hopefully at Gene.

"Good Lord, you don't have to do that," Gene said, feeling a bit nonplussed.

"But I want to. Please."

"Okay, if you insist. But nowhere fancy. I don't do fancy if I can help it." And you probably can't afford more than the local burger joint.

"Yes!" Shawn pumped a fist in the air. "Do you like barbecue?"

"If it's Smokin's, you bet. When and what time?"

Shawn paused as if he hadn't thought that far ahead. "Umm, tomorrow night? I get off at six so…"

"I'll pick you up, unless you want to go home and clean up first. By the way, do you like being at Max's?"

"Oh yeah. I have my own room. Well, not mine really because it's his son's, but he's off to college so it's mine for now, I guess, and Mrs Spitzer's real nice and…"

Gene laughed. "You know you can take a breath between words now and then."

"I'm sorry." Shawn dropped his gaze, staring at the floor.

"Hey, that was not a reprimand, just a suggestion. Okay? I was teasing you."

"Okay." A look of relief flashed across Shawn's face. "I can clean up at work. I've got a locker and I'll bring some good jeans and a shirt and…" He took a deep breath. "I'm doing it again, aren't I?"

"Yep, and I'm not complaining. It's cute."

Shawn turned bright red. "I…umm… I should let you get back to work."

"All right. I'll see you tomorrow night if not before."

Shawn nodded hard and skittered out of the office. Gene smiled as he watched him go.

That was a surprise. A nice one but… I hope he's not expecting more than just using dinner to say thank you. And what if he is? Naw, he's just doing what he thinks is right is all.

He heard the jingle of the bell over the front door and turned his thoughts to how to deal with Mrs. Smith and her 'cat scratch fever'.

4 comments:

  1. Gene needs to live a little...he would be great for Shawn. I love Mrs. Smith! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Gene does, but he has his own history which may make it difficult.

      Delete