Thursday, July 4, 2019

Fear - 29

When they came to the secluded trailer at the back edge of the park Shawn looked around frantically, both searching for any signs of Jared—and afraid he'd find some.

"If you want to wait in the car," Gene said as he pulled to a stop.

"No. I need…" Shawn frowned. "Maybe they already cleaned everything out. Maybe we should stop by the office and see?"

"They hadn't as of two days ago when I talked to the manager. He said no one had wanted to rent it yet and he figured someone would come by for your things before that happened." Gene chuckled. "I suspect he's just being lazy. If we get your stuff, he won't have to clean it out and store or toss everything."

He got out of the car, waited for Shawn to join him, and unlocked the trailer door with the key the manager lent him the first time he was there to get some of Shawn's possessions.

When Shawn stepped inside, he gasped. To him it looked as if a tornado had gone through the living room. Nothing was where it should be—the table sat on its side, the chairs lay on the floor, one with a broken leg. The sofa had been shoved against the wall three feet from where it had been the last time he'd seen it.

"Did this happen when… when he was…?" Shawn shuddered.

"That's the presumption. You don't remember, I take it."

"No. I remember passing out when he hit me in the ribs, and then, later, crawling to the front door, trying to get somewhere safe. He… he picked me up and I passed out again."

"I get the picture," Gene told him, touching his shoulder. "Why don't you sit while I get your clothes packed up."

"I can help," Shawn protested.

"As your doctor of record at the moment, I'm ordering you to sit," Gene said with a smile. "Is there anything else here you want besides clothes and maybe toiletries?"

"No, not really." Shawn watched as Gene went down the hall then looked around again. He shuddered when he saw dark spots on the carpet, wondering if they were blood. His blood.

I didn't deserve the beating. He gasped softly, realizing it was the first time he'd ever admitted it to himself. I really didn't. Not like that. Not like I was your property and you had the right to do it just because you were pissed at me. You never listened; you just hit and then… and then promised afterwards it wouldn't happen again. And I believed you. Shawn buried his face in his hands, trying to push the memories away. And I believed you.

"Shawn?"

He lifted his head to find Gene kneeling in front of him. "I'm okay, honest," he told him, seeing the worried look in Gene's eyes. "Let's get out of here."

4 comments:

  1. Happy 4th!
    Aaccckkkk omg Shawn May be coming around. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, although it will take time after all he's been through.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He did. Whether it sticks or not is another thing, of course.

      Delete