Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Fear - 35


"We're here," Shawn pointed out, coming to a complete stop in front of the restaurant door. He grabbed the handle and pulled it open.

"You do know I'm quite able to open doors on my own," Gene said with a smile as he entered.

"Yes, well…just…just habit, I guess," Shawn replied, chewing his lip.

"I understand." Gene greeted the hostess when she came toward them, telling her they wanted a table for two and introducing her to Shawn.

"So you're the infamous Shawn," she said with a grin. "Everyone was worried about you when they heard you'd been in an accident."

Shawn audibly gulped, staring down at his shoes. "It wasn't…"

"As bad as Max probably made it sound," Gene said hurriedly.

"Accident?" Shawn said a minute later, after the hostess had taken them to a table and left.

Leaning forward, resting his chin on his folded hands to keep his words private from anyone but Shawn, Gene replied quietly, "Max figured that was a better explanation than 'His boyfriend beat the crap out of him'."

"Oh, well, yeah, I guess." Shawn scrubbed a hand through his hair. "Can we talk about something else? Please?"

"Of course." Gene took one of the menus from the holder at the side of the table. "So what's your favorite here? Me, I'm partial to the Carolina pulled pork sandwich."

"Well—" Shawn quickly grabbed the other menu. "Umm…"

Gene laughed. "You've never been here before, have you?"

"No," Shawn admitted, "but I used to smell the food when I'd walk by. It always made me hungry."

"If you like your food really spicy, try the hot link sandwich." Shawn shuddered, so Gene added, "Or not."

The waitress came over at that point. When Shawn still couldn't seem to make a choice, she suggested the sliced brisket with a side of baked beans. He nodded in agreement. Gene ordered the pulled pork with spicy slaw, and after getting their drink orders, she left.

"We used to go to the Fireside," Shawn said out of the blue.

Gene went with that, replying, "It's a nice place, if a bit off the beaten track."

"It's not that far and he liked it because no one bothered us. We always took that table way in the back and…" Shawn shrugged. "Do you have a favorite one? Some place you take…umm…dates to?"

"Since I don't date that would be a resounding 'no'."

"You don't? But you're so nice. Anyone would want to go out with you."

Gene shook his head. "There's not exactly a large gay population here, which limits my choices."

"Oh, yeah, it would. I'd… Never mind." Shawn grabbed his glass of water and took a big gulp.

Oh boy, not good. Damn it, I need to get the conversation onto something else and fast.

"Where did you grow up?" Gene asked.

"Back east," Shawn replied, waving a hand vaguely in that direction.

"Like the east coast—or somewhere between there and here?"

"Umm hmm."

"Do you ever go back to visit?"

"No, they…"

4 comments:

  1. Lol I love Shawn. I am hoping Gene does some soul searching and realize that maybe he has found a mate in Shawn. But I’m sure I’m gonna have to cuss his butt out before he gets on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL There's a good chance you might have to, Cinders.

      Delete
  2. Maybe Gene needs a good kick in the rear.

    ReplyDelete