Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Fear - 32


Gene kept a careful eye on Shawn while everyone was eating. The pizzas were on one of the workbenches in the garage and everyone was sitting or standing near them. It was if they were afraid someone else would grab the piece they had their eye on if they moved too far away. Shawn had taken two slices and, at Ms Johnson's insistence, took the seat of honor, a battered barstool Max had acquired when the owners of the Blue Devil had redecorated a couple of years ago.

He looks tired, but happy. Happier than I've ever seen him. Gene smiled wryly. Not that I saw that much of him before he ended up in the hospital. Just here when I brought the car in, and the time I returned his phone. Who knew finding it would lead to this?

And then he wondered just what 'this' was. Probably nothing more than what it seemed, friendship with a nice kid who had needed someone to talk to and support him after all he'd been through.

He finished the last of his slice of pizza, wiped his fingers on an already greasy napkin, and tossed it in the trashcan. "Okay, guys, I'm out of here. I'd better check in at my office to let them know I'm back and see what havoc my patients have wrought with Doctor Rogers while I was gone."

Everyone gave him casual 'goodbyes' or waves before getting back to eating. Gene chuckled. Guess I can tell who's not important in this group.

He was almost to the door when someone grabbed his arm to stop him. Shawn stood there, a questioning look on his face. "Can I…will you be around tomorrow?"

"Sure. I do live here and I'm not planning on going anywhere for a while, other than to work."

"Great. I might maybe stop by?"

"And I might maybe like that," Gene replied with a laugh. "Sure, any time."

"Okay. I'll see you then."

Gene watched with a bit of amusement as Shawn instantly hurried back to his friends. Still he did wonder why Shawn had felt it necessary to ask if he'd be around. Oh well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow. If he actually shows up.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing day here. I look forward to this a lot. I loved that Shawn did that to Gene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He needs to know he can count on Gene, I suspect.

      Delete
  2. Wondering what Shawn wants with Gene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is Gene. I suspect he, and you, will find out. *G*

      Delete