Monday, July 22, 2019

Fear - 38


"You busy?"

Gene looked up to see Max standing in the doorway to his office and smiled. "Nope, just saw my last patient. How'd you get past Robin without her warning me you were here?"

"I bribed her." Max laughed. "Not really. She was busy on the computer, saw it was me, and nodded me through."

"I'll have to have a word with her," Gene muttered with mock severity. "So, to what do I owe this visit?"

Max took a seat in the patient's chair across from Gene. "Just being nosy. How'd your date with Shawn go?"

"It wasn't a date. He just bought me dinner to thank me for my help."

Max smiled knowingly. "Don't tell him that. He was bouncing around the garage today like a kid who'd just had the best night of his life. He also said the two of you were going to the Farmer's Market Sunday. I think his words were, 'Gene's going to introduce me to people' or something like that."

"Okay, hang on a second. He was supposed to ask if he could go with you and Linda."

"I guess that sort of slipped his mind."

Gene sighed. "So now what do I do?"

"Good question. If you back out—not that there's anything to back out of from in your point of view—he's going to be real hurt. I don't think he needs that right now."

"And if I do take him, he's going to think there's more to it than just letting him get to know people."

"Got it in one."

In frustration, Gene ran his fingers through his hair. "Can't you tell him you're taking him?"

"Do you really think he'd accept that?"

"No."

"He's got a thing for you, Gene. Whether it's just because you were there when he needed someone or a rebound from all he went through with the bastard, it's there and you're going to have to deal with it one way or another." Max studied his friend. "How do you feel about him?"

6 comments:

  1. Nooooooooooo you suck! Aacckkk I need more now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sorry, not until Wednesday. You will survive.

      Delete
  2. you are too mean!!! i love that Max is upfront and asks good questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max has his ducks in a row when it comes to people.

      Delete