Monday, July 8, 2019

Fear - 31


After Ms Johnson left, Max took Shawn into his office, beckoning for Gene to join them.

"So how are you doing?" Max asked Shawn once the three men were seated.

"I'm getting better. Not perfect yet, not by a long shot, but better. And if you're asking because you think I can't handle the job yet…" Shawn paused, frowning. "Okay there's some things I probably won't be able to do for a bit, like leaning over an engine for an hour working on it. My ribs will protest big time, I'm afraid. But I can handle the simple jobs, honest."

"That was just the answer I hoped for. Not because I thought you couldn't do everything immediately like before, but because I wanted an honest answer, not a 'There's nothing wrong and I can do it all because I'm Superman'."

Shawn snorted. "I've never claimed to be him. I don't think anyone would believe it if I did. Clark Kent's more my style."

Max chuckled. "Very true. Okay, second question. How are you doing up here?" Max tapped his temple.

Shawn hesitated, turning to look at Gene.

"Just be as honest as you can be—or tell him it's none of his business," Gene said with a bit of a smile, patting Shawn's arm.

"He tells me that and he's fired," Max growled. Then he laughed at the look of horror on Shawn's face. "I'm kidding. Besides, it really isn't my business as long as you can do the work."

"I can, but…well… Okay, honestly, I finally realized something this morning. I…I still have to convince myself it's true, though."

"And what is that?" Max asked before Gene could.

"That I wasn't to blame. I didn't ask for what happened. Or, more, I didn't ask for it the way he tried to make me think I did." Shawn glanced at Gene. "There's still a lot I have to come to grips with, you know. But maybe I can, in time."

Gene smiled encouragingly. "I know you can. You're stronger than you think you are at the moment. It's not easy, but you can do it."

* * * *

Max watched the two men, one eyebrow cocked. It was apparent from the look on his face that he knew there was more going on than their words conveyed but he remained silent. Gene caught his expression and mouthed, 'Thanks'. Max nodded before saying, "Where the hell is that woman with our food? I'm starving."

4 comments:

  1. Love it! He has a hard road to travel but hopefully he is on the right side of coming out of the tunnel unhurt.

    ReplyDelete