Sunday, July 14, 2019

Fear - 34


Gene smiled when Shawn appeared from the back room of the garage. "You clean up very well."

Shawn immediately looked at his fingernails as if to be certain he'd gotten all the grease out from under them before nodding. "I tried."

"And succeeded. Ready?"

Shawn nodded again, shyly. "Are we walking or driving."

"It's a nice night so let's walk. It's not like it's going to be a major hike."

"True." Shawn hurried forward to open the door, waiting for Gene to exit then following. "Did you have a good day?" he asked when they were outside.

"I suppose it depends on your definition of good. There was a boy had a run-in with a 'mean swing', to quote him, and needed a couple of stitches. Then a woman came down with the flu and of course she came in rather than just calling to have me come check her out, so I might have a few more patients within the next couple of days." Shawn looked puzzled. "The flu's catching if she…"

"Oh I know that. I just… you know a lot of people because you live here." Shawn shrugged. "I really don't know anyone in town unless they've come into the garage."

Right. He probably wouldn't, poor kid

"Then we'll have to change that, won't we."

"We will? I mean, okay, sure. How?"

Gene grinned. "We could go door to door."

"Oh no, that wouldn't be…" Shawn stopped, looking at Gene. "You're teasing, aren't you?"

"Big time," Gene admitted. "But I will introduce you to anyone we run into." He looked around. "Come on, there's the Mitchell family. He's an accountant, she works at the bank. Their kids are in, hmm, middle school and high school, I think."

They crossed the street and true to his word, Gene introduced Shawn, telling them that Shawn worked for Max. They chatted for a couple of minutes then the Mitchells continued on their way home.

"They're nice," Shawn said.

"You sound surprised."

"I guess I shouldn't be. It's just that Jared said…" Shawn's look darkened. "He said all the people here were too stuck-up. No, that's not right. They thought they were better than us so we shouldn't have anything to do with them."

Gene made an instant decision not to sugarcoat his words when Shawn talked about things Jared had done. "I guess that was one way to keep you from making friends," he said tightly.

"I guess. He said he was just keeping me from being embarrassed or hurt when they ignored me or…or said things behind my back."

"Well he was wrong. Most everyone who lives here are good people. You'll find that out in time. Hell, you know what, you should check out the Farmer's Market this Sunday. It's the last one for the season so everyone and their brother will be there."

"By myself?" Shawn looked panicked by that idea.

"I bet Linda and Max are going. Ask them."

"Oh."

Gene hid a smile. He had an idea why Shawn didn't seem too enthused by his suggestion. He was very tempted to say he'd go with him but wasn't sure that was such a good idea.

3 comments:

  1. Oh come on....really Gene! You need help also and maybe you and Shawn can be there for each other...do not be a BUTTHEAD,
    Lol love ya Edward this is an amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your reaction. I'm sure Gene will get that, eventually.

      Delete
  2. Gene should just go with him.

    ReplyDelete