Monday, October 25, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 42

 

 

As it turned out, Shane's words were prophetic, although a bit off on the timing.

 

It was Sunday morning, and for the first time in he couldn't remember how long, Colin was staring at a blank canvas with no idea what he wanted to do with it. Numerous sketches with ideas were tacked to cardboard on the other easel. None of them remotely sparked his interest, even though all of them had at the time he'd drawn them.

 

Am I losing my creative urge? That thought caused a wave of panic. Painting was all he knew—and he was good at it if his sales were any indication.

 

He worried that perhaps he was afraid to commit to a specific subject for fear that he'd be interrupted just when he was deeply into the mood he was trying to create.

 

If I use that as an excuse, then I'm blaming Shane for my inability to come up with a new painting, and it's not his fault. Is it because my reality's changed since he reappeared in my life? He gave that some serious consideration as he paced the studio. I don't feel the pain of our break-up, now, the way I have for the past three years. Or the anger that preceded it. And then there's Kenny's painting. It helped alleviate the loss I felt every time I thought of him. Yeah, things have definitely changed for me. So, what do I do about it?

 

He didn't have a clue at the moment, which was frustrating. Unless… He went back to the canvas, picked up a charcoal pencil and began sketching out the basics.

 

An hour later, he was somewhat satisfied with the result. Standing back, he studied the canvas, frowning when his phone vibrated in his pocket. Contrary to his normal custom, he had it with him as a confirmation, although Shane didn't know it, that he didn't intend to ignore him, no matter what.

 

Turning his back to the canvas, he checked the caller ID. Surprised at who it was, he answered with, "Colin Ainsley."

 

"Good morning, Mr. Ainsley," Detective Randall replied. "Or I guess afternoon at this point. I thought you might be interested in knowing we have someone is custody Mr. Logan's murder."

 

"The killer?" Colin felt inane as soon as he said that. Of course it had to be.

 

"I believe the evidence is sufficient to say she is, however that has to be proven to the satisfaction of the prosecutor. There will be a preliminary hearing in front of a judge, who will decide if there's enough evidence for a criminal indictment."

 

"Wait a minute. She?"

 

"Yes. If you remember, according to Logan's roommate he was a player. Logan was supposed to be working the night of his murder, but didn't show up. Going with the presumption he might have skipped out to meet with one of his women friends, we interviewed all the ones the roommate was aware of. They all had alibis."

 

"But one of them was lying?" Colin asked.

 

"No. One of them lived in Logan's building. She remembered seeing him on the patio of a nearby coffee shop, talking with another woman who also lived in the building. As she put it, the woman was obviously upset and Logan was trying to calm her down. She didn't know her name, but was able to describe her well enough that the building manager recognized who she was when I asked. Anyway, long story short, I interviewed her, Ms Egan. She adamantly denied knowing him, and said my witness must have been lying. 'Because she's a jealous bitch' to quote Ms Egan."

2 comments:

  1. Some people just don’t walk away from being cheated on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. That's presuming they were, and in Ms. Egan's case, well...

      Delete