Monday, October 11, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 35

 

Dinner on Saturday went about as both men expected. Shane told stories about the shows he'd been a part of and his travels around the country. Colin, having a less exciting life, related a few incidents that happened during exhibitions at the Michaelson Galley.

 

"Thomas chooses good artists," he said. "The problem is, some of them think they're better than they are and let everyone know it, including the critics. When that happens, and they get taken down a peg or two, they're not happy."

 

"Of course you never do that," Shane retorted with a wide grin.

 

"Moi? Never. Well, not since I first started exhibiting at smaller galleries. Back then, I had a tendency to think a bit too much of myself, but I told you that, when we were still together."

 

"Yep. More than once. It was cute."

 

"Cute?"

 

"Uh-huh. Hearing you admit you weren't always perfect." Shane bit back a laugh.

 

"I never said I was," Colin protested.

 

"No," Shane admitted. "I'm teasing. You should know when I am by now."

 

"It's been a while since I've had to figure it out. Too long, when it comes down to it."

 

"And at the end…" Shane stopped, shaking his head. "We're not rehashing that. Okay? That's in the past. We're making a fresh start."

 

Colin smiled, lifting his drink. "To new beginnings."

 

They clicked glasses, looking at each other for a long moment before Colin lowered his gaze, glad when Shane changed the subject.

 

Why am I still backing away? Colin wondered. He's not the same man who hurt me. Okay, he's is the same man, but he's changed. He wants us be together. So do I. Can we make it work? It won't be easy if we decide to try again. Not with him gone more than he's here. What if he's tempted to have a fling in Duluth or wherever the troupe goes after that? Damn it, stop thinking that way! If I can't trust him it's over before we give it chance. I believe him when he says it won't happen. That it hasn't happened since soon after we split up. I do. But what if…?

 

"Hey, did I lose you?" Shane asked.

 

"No. Well, for a second. I had an inspiration for a new painting."

 

A frown marred Shane's handsome face momentarily. Then he smiled. "I should have figured that. I promise I'm not going to get my tail in a twist when you're in 'artist' mode, as long as you make some time for me."

 

"Planning on it," Colin replied. "Like… You're free during the days, right?" When Shane nodded, Colin continued. "How about, say on Tuesday, we catch lunch and a movie?"

 

Shane beamed. "You're on. Which one?"

 

They spent a few minutes hovered over Colin's phone, checking out what was playing, choosing one neither of them had seen but wanted to. Then they finished eating so that Shane could get to the theater.

 

As he walked to where he'd parked, Colin was smiling. Step one, I think. I will make time for him. I'll prove to him I'm willing to make the sacrifice. No, not that. That sounds bad, really bad. I'll show him that he's equally as important to me as my painting. Because he was, and Colin knew it. Took me long enough to figure it out, damn it. Maybe I'm growing up? God, one would hope so, at my age.

2 comments: