Tuesday, October 19, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 39


 

"Not bad," Colin commented, looking around Shane's the room.

 

"My home away from home and affordable since it's a residence hotel. The fact I can cook in here saves on eating out, which helps." As he talked, Shane went to the mini-bar. "Beer, liquor, a soft drink?"

 

"Beer's fine, and before you ask, I'm sticking to just one. I have to drive home."

 

"You won't let me ply you with alcohol so I can—"

 

"No seducing, remember?" Colin tempered his words with a smile.

 

"Yeah, yeah." Shane took out two beers, popped the lids, and handed one to Colin. "Have a seat." He gestured to the sofa opposite the large-screen TV. "I get every channel under the sun, I think, if you want to watch something."

 

Colin took off his suit jacket, toed off his shoes, and sat. Swiveling, he pulled his feet up, then wrapped one arm around his knees while taking a long pull on his beer. "We've done the movie thing for this week; I'm not into talk shows or sports reruns. I just want to relax."

 

"Works for me," Shane replied, settling with a sigh at the other end of the sofa.

 

"Tired?"

 

"Not really. More like coming down from the show. It always takes something out of me, even though I'm only a lowly chorus member this time around."

 

"Are you ever one of the leads?" Colin asked, remembering that he had been once or twice when he'd worked at a local theater while they were together.

 

"No. I've had supporting roles, with other companies. This time, I was hired because the guy I'm replacing broke his foot." Shane chuckled. "It's hard to dance when that happens."

 

"No kidding. Turn, spin, clunk when the cast hits the floor."

 

Laughing, Shane replied, "That's about it." He set his beer down on the side table. "Are you sitting that way to make sure I keep my distance?"

 

"Not really," Colin told him, wondering if subconsciously he was. Hesitantly, he lowered his feet to the floor, patting the space beside him.

 

Shane slid over, leaning against Colin's shoulder. "Better."

 

"Debatable," Colin replied as a wave of desire washed over him.

 

"Like old times."

 

"Perhaps…"

 

"We used to sit together like this while we watched TV, or read. Remember?" Shane said.

 

"No. I mean, yeah, we did and I do, but perhaps it's time to forget the past and…" Colin took a deep breath. "I can't believe I'm going to say this. Start over?"

2 comments:

  1. They have to work harder for each other than they did last time. Having a starting point is great but they can’t forget the past just learn from it.

    ReplyDelete