Wednesday, October 13, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 36

 

 

"Damn!" Colin spat out when he looked at the clock on the wall above his workbench around noon on Tuesday. He was supposed to be on his way to Shane's hotel to pick him up for lunch. Dashing downstairs, he snagged his phone from the kitchen counter, turned it on, and called Shane.

 

"I'm running late," he said as soon as Shane answered. "I'll be there as soon as possible."

 

"Lost track of time because you were painting, I bet." Shane laughed, but there was an undertone of hurt along with it.

 

"I did. I'm sorry. Don't shoot me."

 

"Maim, maybe." Shane chuckled. "Killing isn't in my game plan."

 

"I promise I'll make it up to you."

 

"I'll hold you to that."

 

Colin had the feeling he would. "I'll be there in fifteen. Twenty if there's bad lunch hour traffic."

 

Hanging up, Colin raced upstairs to change out of his grubbies, checked to be certain he had everything and started down again. Seconds later he was back in his studio because he had to clean his brushes and cover the palette. He made it a point not to look at the work in progress, knowing is he did he'd want to make some minor, or major, alteration.

 

Finally, he was out the front door after setting the security. Luck was with him, the traffic was thin, so he pulled up in front of the hotel only a few minutes later than promised. Shane was pacing outside. He hopped into the car with an "About time, I'm starving." Thankfully, his expression said he didn't mean it the way it sounded.

 

Then they were off for lunch and the movie.

 

* * * *

 

"That was a good as I hoped," Shane said as he and Colin left the movie theater, heading to the escalator that would take them to the lower level of the mall. "My only gripe is, it was too long."

 

"I don't see where they could have cut anything out," Colin responded.

 

"Neither do I."

 

"Then it wasn't too long."

 

"Yes, it was," Shane retorted. Taking a chance, he slung one arm over Colin's shoulders as they stepped off the escalator. "Twenty minutes shorter and we could have stopped for coffee before you have to drop me off at the theater."

 

Colin stiffened momentarily before relaxing, much to Shane's relief. He'd expected him to pull away.

 

"We can grab some at the Starbucks kiosk and drink while we drive," Colin suggested.

 

"Naw, that's okay. We'll get some after the show."

 

Colin stopped stock still, looking at him. "We'll what?"

 

3 comments: