Sunday, October 17, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 38


 

Shane smiled when he came into the theater lobby, half an hour after the show's final curtain call. Colin was seated on one of the benches, his nose buried in a book.

 

"You took my advice," he said, dropping down on the bench beside Colin.

 

"Yep, and a good thing, too. It gave me something to do." Closing the paperback, he stuck it in his pocket.

 

"So, what did you think?"

 

"It's a pretty good book," Colin replied without blinking an eye. He grinned. "I loved the show. I probably missed a few salient points, though, as my concentration was on a certain chorus member whenever he was on stage."

 

"You'd better mean me," Shane said, feigning a worried frown.

 

"Well, now that you mention it, the blond guy was…" Colin laughed. "Of course I meant you." He gave Shane a swift hug. "Do you want to stop for coffee or a drink before you go back to your hotel?"

 

"We could, or I have a mini-bar in my room." Shane waited on tenterhooks to see what Colin's response would be.

 

"I…" Colin worried his lip between his teeth as he studied Shane. Then, with a nod, he replied, "What the hell, why not?"

 

Resisting his immediate response—"Such enthusiasm, not."—Shane smiled as he stood, waited for Colin to join him, and they left the theater.

 

"Nice night for a walk," Colin said.

 

Shane chuckled. "You make it sound as if we were going miles, not two blocks. We could take the long way, to the end of the Mall and back."

 

"If you want." Colin didn't sound averse to the idea.

 

Taking Colin's hand, Shane replied, "Relax. We're not going to do anything more than have a drink together without a lot of boisterous people around. I'm not planning on seducing you, I promise."

 

"Well, damn." Colin grinned as he said it, but the flash of relief belied his words.

 

It made Shane resolve to act like the perfect gentleman once they were in his room, as much as he might have wished otherwise. If I push, he'll run. He hasn't decided if he wants us to start over. He's getting close, I think, but…yeah. Take it slow and easy.

2 comments: