Friday, October 1, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 30

 

 

By the time he managed to find a parking space in one of the public lots closer than ten blocks away, Colin was almost fifteen minutes late getting to the restaurant. He prayed, as he pulled the door open to enter, that Shane hadn't decided he was standing him up.

 

As it turned out, he was there first. Shane dashed in two minutes later, saying, "Sorry I'm late. I got talking with one of the girls from the show and then I had to shower and find something to wear and…" He lifted one shoulder. "Time got away from me."

 

"No problem. I just got here, myself," Colin replied before telling the hostess they needed a table for two. She said it would be at least fifteen minutes and suggested they could wait in the bar.

 

"You up for that?" Colin asked Shane, lifting an eyebrow in question.

 

"Why not. It's better than standing here twiddling our thumbs."

 

The bar was busy, but they still managed to snag two stools and order beers. As they drank, Colin watched Shane, who for the moment was watching the other customers. He fought a wave of jealousy when he realized it was mainly other men who caught his ex's attention.

 

Shane chuckled, pointing to one of them. "Definitely not an office worker who stopped by for a drink before going home."

 

Since the guy was wearing jeans, a T-shirt that proclaimed 'I visited Denver and survived', and sneakers, Colin had to agree. "Look around. Half the people here are tourists, I bet."

 

"No kidding. Them, them…" Shane gestured to the ones he meant. "Then there's her," he nodded to a woman at the other end of the bar. "She's waiting for her date, or husband, whichever, and she is not happy that he's late."

 

That was proven a minute later when a man hurried into the bar area. The woman saw him, waved, and when he joined her, began what, from Colin's abbreviated view of her face told him, was the rant to end all rants. It was obvious the man was trying to placate her. Colin and Shane didn't find out if he succeeded because the hostess came over to let them know their table was ready.

 

Once they were seated, she handed them menus and told them their waiter would be with them shortly.  

 

"What's good?" Shane asked as he perused the menu. "This place wasn't around when I lived here."

 

"Everything, from what I've heard. This is my first time, too."

 

"Maybe I'll stick with the tried-and-true and order the steak."

 

Colin chuckled. "Where's your adventurous spirit."

 

Snorting, Shane replied, "I eat out so much while we're on the road I lost it ages ago."

2 comments:

  1. So could Shane get a job at the local theater? Could Colin write on the road. I people watch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Shane could. I don't think Colin could paint on the road. Too much stuff involved that he'd have to take with him.

      Delete