Saturday, October 9, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 34

 

 

Shane hoped he meant that the way it sounded. Colin had said he wanted him back in his life. Well, maybe he does. He did admit he hasn't quite decided. I hope to hell, when he does, it's going to be yes. He'd have crossed his fingers, but Colin might have asked why and he wasn't willing to tell him how important his decision, one way or the other, was to him. He knows I still love him, but is that enough after all this time?

  

The arrival of the waiter with their dinners put paid to any more talk about the murders or their personal relationship—if there was going to be one, which was still debatable as far as Shane was concerned.

 

As they ate, they discussed general things like the weather, which promised to warm up now that April was around the corner, and books each of them had read and liked, or disliked, since they'd last been together. Once they finished, and had paid, Colin offered to walk back to the hotel with Shane.

 

When they got there, Shane said with a wry grin, "I'd ask you up for the proverbial nightcap, but I don't think we're at that point yet. We may never be."

 

Resting his hands on Shane's shoulders, Colin replied, "Not yet. In truth, I can't say we ever will be because I don't know." Looking directly into Shane's eyes, he said, "I have to learn to trust that we won't repeat the pattern we fell into at the end."

 

"Meaning that I won't go looking for a quickie, or a brief fling, because I'm feeling ignored. I understand. I'm not going to, but you don't know that. Take all the time you need." Shane chuckled. "As long as it's less than four weeks."

 

"It will be, one way or the other, I promise."

 

"That's all I can ask." Shane's gaze lowered to Colin's lips, the temptation to kiss them almost overwhelming. Quickly, he stepped back. "I see you Saturday."

 

Colin nodded. "I'll call if I hear anything more from the detective." Then he turned and walked away.

 

I'm going to prove you can trust me, Colin. I have to. With that thought, Share entered the hotel.

 

2 comments: