Saturday, October 23, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 41

 

 

"Oh my God, you live," the waitress said to Shane when he and Colin were seated at a table in the restaurant early Thursday afternoon.

 

He looked up at her, trying to figure out why she'd said that, and then got it. "Jamie, right? You still remember me after all this time?"

 

"Shane, you have to be kidding. I never forget a handsome man." She managed to give him a quick hug, even though he was seated, and then handed him and Colin menus. "Coffee or what?" she asked them.

 

"Coffee for me," Shane replied. "I have to work tonight."

 

"You mean you're back permanently? Are you and Colin, umm…?" She paused, glancing between them.

 

"I'm with the show at the Buell," Shane told her. "As for the other thing you sort of asked, we're working on it."

 

Jamie frowned. "The Buell's for traveling shows."

 

"Yep. I'm here for a bit over three weeks, at this point, before we move on."

 

"Then how can you and Colin…?"

 

Colin chuckled. "You might try finishing a sentence. If things work out, he's coming back after the run of the show."

"They had better work out. You two are perfect for each other," she replied adamantly. "Okay, I've babbled enough. I'll be right back with your coffees. I mean, you want some, too, right Colin?"

 

He agreed that he did and she left.

 

"There you go," Shane said, smiling. "She thinks we belong together, so obviously we do."

 

"I'm not disputing it," Colin protested.

 

"Hadn't better."

 

They opened their menus, and for the moment were silent while they decided what to order. When Jamie returned and set down their coffees, Shane ordered the Italian Campanelle. Colin opted for the Tuscan Lasagna. When she asked, they told her they would pass on an appetizer.

 

"Don't want to ruin my appetite," Shane said, rating him a laugh from Jaime before she went to place their orders.

 

"Have you heard anything from Detective Randall?" Shane asked.

 

"Nothing. Of course catching whoever murdered Logan will undoubtedly be as hard as it was to find Kenny's killer, meaning it's not going to happen."

 

"I have a feeling you're right, but you never know. He could be closing in on the killer as we speak."

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully someone from the theater there sees Shane and ask him to come work for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice, but he still has to fulfill his contract before that can happen.

      Delete