Thursday, July 18, 2019

Fear - 36


Whatever Shawn was going to say was interrupted by the waitress as she set their meals in front of them.

And that effectively ended another topic he doesn't really want to talk about.

Shawn immediately picked up his brisket sandwich and took a big bite. "This is so good," he said enthusiastically, as soon as his mouth was empty. "Is yours?"

"Yep. You want to try a bite?" Gene cut off a piece when Shawn nodded, handing it to him.

"I like this too. Maybe next time we come here, I'll order it." Shawn turned a bright shade of pink, quickly dropped his gaze to his food, cut a bit of the sandwich, and gave it to Gene. "Not as good as this though."

Gene smiled as he ate it. "I'd debate that."

They both went silent then as they worked their way through their meals. Shawn kept glancing at Gene though, looking away any time Gene caught him at it.

Gene decided he might have a problem the fourth time it happened. Either that or I'm being very egotistical. He chuckled to himself. I'm one of the few people he knows here and I helped him come to grips with what had happened in his life. What is it the psychiatrists call it? Transference? He was dependent on Jared for so long and with him gone he could be looking for someone else to take his place. Though God knows I hope not. He has to learn to stand on his own two feet and find someone to have a healthy relationship with.

"A penny for your thoughts."

Gene laughed. "Trust me. They aren't worth nearly that much." He realized they'd both finished eating and asked, "Do you want dessert?"

"Naw, I'm stuffed." Shawn pushed his plate to one side. "But if you do…"

"Nope. If I eat anything more, you'll have to roll me home." He started to signal for the check.

"I'm paying," Shawn said in what Gene thought was a rare burst of authority for him. "This was my idea." He quickly dropped his gaze. "I mean… it was… so I should pay."

"I'm not debating that. I just wanted to get her over here. I'm ready to leave."

Shawn nodded hard. "Me too." His posture was deferential and he seemed to turn in on himself then, reverting back to the way he'd acted when Gene had run into him just before he'd ended up in the hospital.

Gene reached for his hand. "That wasn't an order, Shawn. Just a statement. If you want to stay, we can get more coffee and maybe go out on the patio."

"Is that what you want to do?" Shawn whispered.

"Shawn, look at me please." When the younger man did, Gene said gently but firmly, "We're friends now, I hope. One thing you have to understand about friendship, no one is the boss. If you want to do something, you say so, and the same for me, and then we make a decision we both can deal with. As far as I'm concerned at the moment, we can stay or go." He squeezed Shawn's hand. "So which would you like to do?"

Shawn took a deep breath. "Go, and maybe walk for a while." He gave a small grin. "To work off everything we ate."

"Sounds like a good plan to me."

6 comments:

  1. Ok I can see Gene not really trusting the relationship to deepen to more, thinking he is a rebound or convenance. But I hope Shawn can change his mind. Minds are a vast land to navigate in, once you can see the wrong things then that is when you look around and see promise in things you would have dismissed before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene needs to get his thoughts together as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the tentative and beautiful building blocks of friendship and attraction... so fragile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very fragile, especially when it comes to building trust.

      Delete