Tuesday, September 20, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 66

 


 

"Definitely," Robin agreed, taking Micky's hand. "The possibility I wouldn't see you again…" Robin shivered.

 

"I wish…I wish I could say the same. Wait. That came out wrong." Micky chewed his lip, gripping Robin's hand tightly. "Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but…"

 

Robin chuckled. "You weren't thinking of me while that son of a bitch was trying to get you to talk."

 

Micky nodded, dropping his gaze to their hands.

 

"It's okay. I'd be surprised if you had been. Having someone playing slice-and-dice with you doesn't give you much time to think about anything except hoping they'll stop before you break and tell them what they want to know."

 

"I might have, if Hawk and Wren hadn't ridden to the rescue."

 

"Maybe." Robin put one finger under Micky's jaw to make him look up. "If so, there's no shame in it. The human body can only take so much. The mind can only handle so much, before it gives in. If that wasn't so, there'd be no reason for a bastard like Darren to inflict pain."

 

"You didn't break," Micky replied quietly.

 

"Only because Mackenzie wasn't looking for information. If he had been, I'd have given him everything he wanted. So don't look on me as some sort of hero. I'm far from it. Hell, you're more of one than I am. You jumped in, with no idea about what could happen to you."

 

"You do what you have to, to stop bastards like them."

 

"Yeah, right. Throw my words back in my face." Robin shook his head.

 

Micky grinned. "Why not? Besides, as I've found out, it's true."

 

"It is, but there's no way you're going to do it again."

 

Micky's eyebrows rose. "Are you trying to tell me how to run my life?"

 

Robin sighed. "No. It's just…"

 

"I'm not saying I want to be part of what you and your family do. But don't take away the option, even if I'm not family."

 

Squeezing Micky's thigh, Robin said, "Maybe you weren't born into it, but I've got the feeling we all look at you as another brother now."

 

"I'm not so sure I like that idea, when it comes to you," Micky replied with a raffish grin.

 

"Well…yeah. That would make things kinda weird."

 

"More that kind of." Micky traced a fingertip over Robin's lips before leaning in to kiss them. "Very weird, considering I don't feel the least bit brotherly toward you."

 

"Ditto," Robin replied, returning the kiss. "God damn it," he growled when they pulled apart.

 

Micky instantly knew what had brought on that reaction, and it wasn't the kiss per se. "You need to take another pill."

 

"Yeah. I need more than that, though, but it's not happening for at least a couple more days, until we're both back in shape."

 

Micky's libido instantly went into high gear. "Not sure I can wait that long, but if we must, we must."

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment