Saturday, September 10, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 61


 

When Micky came to, he was in a room he didn't recognize, lying on a bed—tied to the bed, actually, and wearing only his jeans. A woman was standing beside the bed, with Darren next to her.

 

"I'd introduce myself, but I'm certain you already know who I am," Olivia Hummel said.

 

Micky remained silent for a moment, trying to gather his wits. "You drugged me," he said accusingly to Darren.

 

"I figured you'd prefer that to my using force. And before you ask, I relieved you of your phone and that earbud while we were in the parking lot at the bar. I'm sure whoever you're in contact with is wondering why you're on your way to the mountains right now."

 

But not the microphone. Please not the microphone. "Where am I?" Micky asked, certain they wouldn't tell him.

 

"Somewhere safe. For us. For you, not so much," Olivia replied. "Although if you tell us where the list is, things will end quicker than otherwise."

 

"I told him"—he shot a look at Darren—"I don't know about any list."

 

"Darren," Olivia said, "perhaps you'd like to help him remember?"

 

"Of course." Darren took a black object from his pocket, opening it. To Micky it looked like some sort of Leatherman tool, only much more lethal, with pliers at one end and a thin blade that Darren flipped out from one side. "Cut or pull?" Darren eyed Micky thoughtfully. "A slice to start with, I think. A small taste of pain."

 

"You've been hanging around Mackenzie too much," Micky spat out, although he knew that wasn't the case.

 

Olivia snorted. "The closest he, or I, have gotten to that man was relieving him of some of his precious boys for my own business."

 

"Not what I've heard," Micky said, gritting his teeth when Darren pressed the blade to his chest. He tried not to cry out as Darren drew it down, leaving a thin trail of blood in its wake. "Darren was seen coming out of Mackenzie's house," Micky croaked.

 

"Like hell I was!"

 

"Darren?" Olivia looked fiercely at him.

 

"He's lying. You know that. No fucking way would I have anything to do with Mackenzie." Turning his attention back to Micky, Darren made another slice across Micky's chest.

 

"Then why did you have the list?" Micky said, clenching his hands when Darren cut him again.

 

"So you do have it, since you know it exists, Mr. Payne." Olivia moved closer, twisting her hand in Micky's hair. "Where is it?"

 

"Why is it so damned important? It's just names."

 

"Names of men I want to talk to. They could be of immeasurable help with my plans to upgrade my houses and keep the cops from bothering me. The payoffs I'm making right now are killing me. I suspect Mackenzie is using the men for the same reason. If they join me instead…" She smiled gleefully.

 

"Olivia, shut up," Darren said angrily.

 

She shrugged. "What difference does it make if I tell him? He's going to be dead as soon as he hands over the list."

 

"I already gave it to Gary, or Darren, I guess, since that's what you're…" Micky screamed when Darren's blade slashed through skin down to bone in his bicep. "He got the list…from…Mackenzie…to lure you into…" Micky screamed again as Darren thrust the blade between his ribs and twisted it.

 

2 comments: