Sunday, September 18, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 65


 

"Shh," Micky whispered when Thor came bounding over to greet him as he got out of the car. "We don't want to wake Robin."

 

"Do you think he understands you?" Wren asked.

 

"Maybe? He's not barking." Micky patted Thor's head as they walked to the front door of Robin's house. Wren unlocked it to let them in, turning off the alarm system in the process.

 

"Why do you know the code?" Micky asked softly. "For that matter, why did Hawk know where to find the safe and how to open it?"

 

"We all know those things about each other, in case of emergencies."

 

"Makes sense, I guess," Micky replied, still keeping his voice low as he stood at the bottom of the stairs.

 

Wren chuckled. "You don't have to keep whispering. He's awake."

 

"He hadn't better be. He needs his sleep," Micky muttered, tiptoeing up the stairs.

 

"Apparently making certain you're all right is more important, as far as he's concerned," Hawk said from the doorway to Robin's room.

 

"Yeah," Robin called out. "So get in here, Micky."

 

Gathering up his waning courage, Micky entered the room. The first thing he saw was Robin sitting on the edge of the bed, wearing sweatpants. "Why the hell are you dressed?"

 

"I don't think what I have on constitutes 'dressed'," Robin retorted tightly.

 

Micky winced. "You're pissed."

 

"Well…" Robin stared at him, then slowly smiled. "I was. Until Fal and Hawk pointed out a few facts of life to me. Come here and let me see how bad the damage is."

 

Hesitantly, Mick walked over, while Hawk and Falcon beat a hasty retreat.

 

"Well? I can't see through the shirt."

 

Micky took it off, waiting for Robin to… To what? Yell? Commiserate? Tell me he's seen worse?

 

"They did a number on you," Robin said, touching the bandages on Micky's chest.

 

Micky shrugged. "Nothing I can't deal with."

 

"Sit. Please." Robin patted the bed. When Micky did, Robin looked at him, as if trying to read something in his expression. "How are you, up here?" He tapped Micky's temple.

 

"I'm not sure," Micky admitted. "Right now I'm just glad I survived. They were planning on killing me, they said. So being alive is a relief."

 

"Yeah, I know exactly what you mean," Robin replied with a small smile. "It makes you feel…more aware of what life has to offer, I guess."

 

"Or what you would have lost if you had died," Micky said softly, touching Robin's cheek.

 


 

 

2 comments: