Wednesday, August 31, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 56

 


 

While they waited to hear back from Olivia Hummel, Wren took Alex back to Eldon's for the time being and Micky went upstairs to check on Robin. He walked into the room to find Robin was lying on his side and still seemed to be fast asleep. Thor was curled up on the bed next to him.

 

Afraid the dog might disturb Robin's rest, when Thor looked up at him, Micky pointed to the floor.

 

"It's okay," Robin mumbled, and Micky saw he was watching him. "He's helping me stay calm."

 

"Bad dreams again?" Micky asked sympathetically, trying to hide his worry as he sat on the chair by the bed.

 

Robin seemed as if he'd deny it, before saying, "Yeah. But they'll go away in time. Until then, I have Thor." He reached out and Micky took his hand. "Thor, and you, to keep me from going totally off the deep end."

 

"We'll do our best. So will your brothers, and Eldon."

 

"No. I mean they would if they had the time, but they have their own jobs to do. They'll check in when they can but you… You're the one who really cares—because I'm me. Just like Thor does."

 

Micky smiled. "I love being put in the same class as a dog. Not, you understand, that there's anything wrong with it."

 

"Not a damned thing. They're faithful, and caring, and loyal, and tender when they need to be."

 

"Tender?"

 

"Thor is. He's been very careful not to actually touch me, except to lick my arm or my face, unless I was having a nightmare. Then he put his paw on my arm and woofed softly to wake me up." Robin eased partially onto his back, biting his lip hard, to pat Thor's head. "Okay," he muttered, turning onto his side again. "That was not my smartest move."

 

"I'd say not. You need another pill."

 

"Actually, I need to pee first. That means I need your help getting up."

 

"You shouldn't… Okay, I guess you should, under the circumstances."

 

Robin managed a small grin. "Close your eyes. I'm not wearing much."

 

Micky eyed him. "I'd say you're not wearing anything, unless you count the bandages. But I saw it all earlier when I got you undressed. I think I can handle it again."

 

Robin smirked. "Again? You haven't handled it…"

 

"Enough," Micky muttered, trying not to laugh while easing his arm under Robin's to help him sit up then stand. He knew from the pain etched on Robin's face and the fact he bit down hard on his lip again, that he was trying not to cry out.

 

2 comments: