Tuesday, August 23, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 52

 


 

Wren and Alex found seats then Wren told the others, "Alex is a font of information about the house where he worked."

 

"Slaved, more like it," Alex muttered.

 

"That too. Anyway, he gave me the names of the guards and a couple of other people. When I did a photo lineup, he immediately picked out Mackenzie as the man called Mac, who had him sent to the Yours Truly house."

 

"And I'll tell anyone who asks, including the cops," Alex said adamantly.

 

Wren patted Alex's shoulder. "We'll arrange that soon. Now"—he looked at his brothers—"what do you need from me?"

 

"We want to use Micky and the list he found in Darren Walker's wallet, to draw out Walker and his boss, Olivia Hummel."

 

"Explain," Wren said, so between Micky and Hawk they filled him in on the details of how Micky had gotten his hands on Walker's wallet and the aftermath. "You're lucky you're alive," Wren told Micky when they finished.

 

"I wouldn't be without Robin's help."

 

Wren nodded. "Okay, what's the plan?"

 

"That's what we need to figure out," Falcon said. "I think we can put Swallows to good use as part of it."

 

Wren chuckled. "Given what kind of bar it is, I'm sure we can. But how?"

 

"You always were the one to ask the hard questions," Hawk muttered.

 

Wren just grinned, tapping a finger to his lips. "Have you been there more than the two times you mentioned, Micky?"

 

"No. One of the guys I work with told me about it, so I decided to check it out. That's the last time I'll do that."

 

"Hey, you met us as a result," Falcon said. He smirked. "Especially Robin."

 

"Is there something going on here I'm not aware of?" Wren asked.

 

"No," Micky said hastily at the same time Falcon said, "Probably."

 

Wren smiled. "He's good people, Micky. You could do a lot worse."

 

"I don't even know if he's interested. I don't know if I am. Not really. It could all be the result of all that's happened since we met."

 

"You're interested," Hawk said. "However, that's neither here nor there at the moment. We need to break up Ms Hummel's organization. Using the fact that Micky has the list she seems to be after, might be the perfect way to get the information we need."

 

"You're sure she wants it?" Wren asked.

 

"Why else would she have had her people watching Micky's place?"

 

"To find out if Micky can identify the person who tried to kill Walker."

 

             "Perhaps that too," Hawk agreed, "but since the list was in Walker's wallet and they had to figure Micky found it, it's more reasonable to think she wants it. Walker undoubtedly knows there's a connection between Mackenzie and the men on the list."

 

2 comments:

  1. Plans like they willbe cooking are never foolproof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Let's hope they can come up with one that might be.

      Delete