Sunday, August 7, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 44

 


 

"If you tell me you do what you have to… I've heard that way too many times from him."

 

"Nonetheless it's true, Micky," Wren replied. "If it makes you feel any better—which it probably doesn't—if we'd known how sexually perverted Mackenzie was and what he's apparently been putting Robin through, we'd have pulled Robin out long before now." 

 

"I suppose that's good to know." Micky clenched and unclenched his hands. "Do you think, with what Alex knows, you can shut Mackenzie down? Or whatever it is you do?"

 

"We won't know until we talk with the boy," Hawk said. "With luck, what he knows will tie Mackenzie to Tanzer and Yours Truly. That's the best case scenario. Other than that, if he's willing to testify against them, that should put an end to Tanzer's business."

 

"I will," Alex said from the doorway. "And I bet a couple of other kids will too if you can get them out of there." He looked at the men then asked hopefully, "I don't suppose you have something I can wear, do you?"

 

"Come on," Wren replied. "I think I can find you something, though you'll swim in it. Then you can tell me everything you know about the house where they were keeping you, and any of the men working there."

 

"Men and women," Micky heard Alex say as he left with Wren.

 

At the same moment, Hawk's phone rang. He answered immediately, talking softly as he walked away to stand by the front window. Micky couldn't tell by the look on Hawk's face if the call was about Robin, and if so, if it was good or bad news. I guess they've learned not to show what they feel, given what they do. 

 

Hawk came back, sitting at the other end of the sofa. "That was Eldon. He's at the hospital." He took a deep breath. "Robin's back looks like raw hamburger, to quote Eldon. His ass is so badly bruised that Eldon wonders how he managed not to pass out while he was driving. His wrists and ankles are badly abraded from being restrained."

 

Micky felt tears well up and forced himself not to cry. "How… How long will they keep him there? Can I go see him?"

 

Hawk actually smiled. "This is Robin. He's tough. Tougher than he looks. He's already awake and insisting that the doctor's 'do their thing' as Eldon put it, so he can get out of there. Eldon says he told them 'I have a dog at home that's probably ready to bust a gut since I'm not there to let him out to do his business.'."

 

"That sounds like Robin," Micky said. "Are they going to release him? And how did he explain his…the damage?"

 

"Since it's obvious what was done to him, Eldon said Robin told the docs he'd gotten mixed up in a bad BDSM relationship and his Master did it when Robin told him he was breaking it off."

 

"I guess that works."

 

"As much as anything could." Hawk stood again, looking at Micky. "Why don't I find you a shirt, then, if you want, you can come with me. I suspect Robin was right and Thor is probably dancing a jig trying not to pee on the kitchen floor."

 

 

1 comment: