Sunday, August 21, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 51

 


 

"Or not," Falcon muttered, earning him a grin from Hawk. He stopped pacing to look at Micky, as if appraising him, then said to Hawk, "What do you think?"

 

"He's not trained."

 

"But he did well with getting that boy out of Tanzer's clutches."

 

"Hey, I'm sitting right here," Micky pointed out. "If it's me you're talking about." He was both afraid and intrigued by the idea that it was.

 

"It is," Falcon replied, "but as Hawk said, you don't have the training it takes to be used as bait."

 

"I presume you wouldn't be sending me out on my own."

 

"Of course not," Hawk said emphatically.

 

Falcon nodded. "We'll have to use Wren. He's the only one of us who doesn't resemble Robin."

 

Puzzled, Micky asked, "Why does that matter?"

 

"One. For all we know, Ms Hummel has someone planted in Mackenzie's organization. If so, she probably knows what his people look like."

 

"Exactly," Hawk agreed. "Even though Robin was just one of his lovers, he'd be on her radar as a result."

 

"I suppose that makes sense. What's the second reason?"

 

"They obviously know what you look like, since she had people staking out your apartment. Although the chances are slim, someone might have seen you and Robin together."

 

"Not that slim, I'm afraid," Micky told them. "Robin went with me to the bar where I hooked up with Irving—to set things up with the bartender, so Irving and I could talk privately."

 

Hawk glanced at Falcon. "Swallows, I bet."

 

"Yes," Micky said. "And that's where I first ran into Darren."

 

"It could work," Hawk said, again looking at Falcon, getting a nod in return.

 

"Are you reading each other's mind?" Micky asked, "Because it sure seems like it."

 

Falcon chuckled. "No. We've just worked together for so long we tend to think alike." Taking out his phone, he called Wren, asking him to join them. "He'll be here in twenty or less," he said after hanging up. "So why don't we see if Robin has anything edible. I'm hungry."

 

They raided the fridge and were eating sandwiches when Wren showed up with Alex in tow. As the front door closed, Thor bounded down the stairs and into the room, every hair on his neck bristling. Then the dog saw Wren and dashed over. Alex stepped behind Wren fearfully, only coming into view again when Wren assured Thor that Alex was a friend. As soon as the dog finished greeting both of them, he disappeared, and Micky heard his nails clicking on the stairs while he raced back up to be with Robin.

 

2 comments: