Thursday, January 25, 2024

51 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

"Are you okay with all this," Mick asked Kevin, as soon as everyone else had left.

 

"Yeah. I just hope Arch does show up so we can end this, for Sue's sake."

 

"And yours. After all, you're the one he went after."

 

"I know." Kevin shivered. "But he'd be stupid to try again. Wouldn't he?"

 

Mick got off the arm of the sofa, coming around to sit beside Kevin. "If he sees you as a threat to his getting Sue back then you're the obvious one to target, not her."

 

"If it does come down to that, I hope you're right. I'd hate to see her get hurt because she fell for the wrong guy."

 

"I suspect everyone does that at some point in their life."

 

"Like you?" Kevin asked.

 

"Not so far, but then I haven't really been looking. I've had other things to worry about."

 

"I can understand that, between school and being in the police academy." Kevin chuckled. "In a way, protecting me must seem almost like a vacation."

 

"A very nice vacation, since I like the guy I'm protecting."

 

"Really? Like, 'like' like or just 'friend' like."

 

Mick snickered. "That was four 'likes' in one sentence. Care to try for five?"

 

"I was serious," Kevin said, looking hurt.

 

"I know. I shouldn't have teased you." Mick paused then took Kevin's hand. "As in 'like' like. I'm very… attracted to you. But…"

 

"I'm too young and you'll be leaving as soon as this is over and"—he stared at Mick—"what did I miss?"

 

Mick looked away, murmuring, "Nothing. Everything."

 

"That makes no sense at all."

 

Turning back, Mick said, "Being attracted to you makes no sense either, since we barely know each other. But as I said, I am, and it sucks."

 

"Oh." Kevin sighed. "And the fact I think I feel the same way doesn't count."

 

"You know nothing about me," Mick retorted. "You're just… I'm here, I'm the first person other than your mom, and now the twins, who you even admitted to that you are gay."

 

"Sue knew before you did," Kevin shot back, pulling away from him.

 

"She's a girl, she doesn't count. I mean in terms of…things. Like thinking you're interested in me."

 

"I don't think. I know, damn it. I may be four years younger than you, give or take, but I'm not a child. I do know my own mind."

 

"Not four years," Mick replied, knowing in that moment he was going to reveal something that would probably piss Will off, big time. Still, he couldn't lie to Kevin. He liked him too much to do that to him again. "We're the same age."

 

Kevin looked at him in shock. "But… what about, you know, the police academy? You working with Will on… things? About you being with him when he got the vision about me being attacked?"

 

"Okay, part of that's true. I was there. I do know Will, but not because he's a cop and I'm a trainee."

 

"He's not a cop?"

 

"Yeah, he is," Mick said, fudging the truth. After all, it's not my place to say more than that. His story isn't mine to tell.

 

"Then why were you there?"

No comments:

Post a Comment