Monday, January 1, 2024

39 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

Will watched the boys with a bit of amusement as they vied for who could get what on the table faster and neater. They seemed to enjoy each other's company, from what he could tell.

 

Which is a good thing since Mick is the one who has to stay close to him. He smiled ruefully to himself. Thank goodness for him. I'd be hard pressed to come up with reasons to be around Kevin more than just in passing, and at the places he probably hangs out at, I'd stand out like a sore thumb.

 

"Are you planning on joining us?" Mick called out.

 

"No, I thought I'd go downtown to a fancy restaurant," Will replied, going into the kitchen.

 

"Some father you are," Kevin said with a laugh, even though he knew it was just their cover.

 

Will felt stricken for a moment and hoped it didn't show on his face. He quickly turned to the refrigerator to get out bread and butter. "Probably lucky for some potential kid that I'm not," he said, pasting a smile on his face as he put the bread and the butter tub on the table.

 

"Aw, I bet you'd make a great father."

 

"Milk or water," Mick asked quickly.

 

"Thank you," Will mouthed when Kevin wasn't looking. Mick nodded in reply, grabbing the milk container from the refrigerator.

 

"So how was school?" Will asked when they were all seated.

 

"Long," Kevin replied. "Probably because sitting for all that time made me more aware of my aches and pains."

 

"Didn't you take your meds?" Mick asked.

 

"No. Well, not the prescription ones. I didn't want to be sleepy so I was popping Advil."

 

Mick shook his head. "Maybe you should have stayed home if it was that bad."

 

"Now you're doing it," Kevin told him with a grin. "I have two 'fathers' watching out for me."

 

"Not even," Mick growled. "I do not see you as a son. You're too…" He quickly began eating, obviously not intending to finish his sentence.

 

Kevin looked as if he was going to say something before thinking better of it, getting a slice of bread and buttering it instead.

 

Will decided not to comment either. Whatever happens, happens and it's really none of my business one way or the other.


No comments:

Post a Comment