Sunday, January 21, 2024

49 – This Gift, This Curse

 

"Okay," Will said, taking the floor again, "now on to why we asked you to come over here. From what Kevin and Mick said, they and Sue are going to a movie again this weekend."

 

"You don't think we should?" Sue asked.

 

"Quite the contrary, I think it's a good idea, with one proviso, I'm going to be there too, to watch for your ex-boyfriend."

 

Sue gave him a very worried look. "You think he'll go after Kev again?"

 

"I think it's possible, if he thinks Kevin is ignoring his 'message'. Or, he might decide to go after you instead."

 

Charlie shook his head adamantly. "Then no way are they going." He stopped, frowning. "Unless I'm there too."

 

"If you come with us," Mick said, "then it won't look like a date. Just like a bunch of friends taking in a movie."

 

"And with you there, it won't look like that?"

 

"Three of us, and him and Sue being all lovey-dovey, is one thing. Add you to the mix, and, well, she probably wouldn't do that. Right?"

 

"Right," Sue agreed. "Mick's a third wheel and just tagging along. You, Charlie, are my brother and there's no way I'd even try to play with Kev—or any guy—while you're watching."

 

Charlie gave an amused snort. "Guess I'll have to go on all your dates with you then, to make sure you behave."

 

She arched an eyebrow. "Only if I get to go with you on yours."

 

"Children," Will muttered, "may we get back to business, please?" When they all nodded, he continued. "Charlie, does this guy… okay, what's his name?"

 

"Arch. Archer Mitchel."

 

"Does Archer know you?"

 

"Yeah. Knows and dislikes, and the feeling is mutual."

 

"Okay. So we'll have to figure out where to put you where he's not likely to see you. Same goes for me, of course, though he's less likely to be aware of my presence. Now, what does he look like?"

 

"Tall," Sue replied. "A bit taller than Charlie. Blond, dark blue eyes, muscular, with a perpetual sneer on his lips, like he's better than everyone else."

 

"How the hell did you get mixed up with someone like him?" Mick asked.

 

"He was older, sophisticated, or so I thought, and he had a way of making me feel special."

 

Will frowned. "How old is 'older'?"

 

"Oh not nearly as old as you. He was twenty when I met him. I'd just turned eighteen."

 

Mick snorted in amusement. "You're old, father William…"

 

"Mick," Will growled.

 

Mick shrugged, not looking the least bit contrite.

 

"A question," Charlie said. "What do we do if we see him?"

 

"Run like hell," Kevin muttered.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment