Tuesday, January 23, 2024

50 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

Mick sat down next to Kevin on the arm of the sofa. Resting his hand on Kevin's shoulder he said, "You're going to be safe. So is Sue. We're going to see to that."

 

Kevin looked up at him, nodding. "Promise?"

 

"Promise," Mick replied quietly, squeezing his shoulder.

 

Sue was watching them and smiled, whispering to Kevin, "Am I going to have to chaperone the two of you?"

 

"Umm…" He glanced at Mick, turning a bit red.

 

Mick winked and nodded, having overheard her. "Maybe."

 

"Sweet!" she said, grinning.

 

Charlie sighed, also muttering, "Children," and asked one more time, "If we see him, what then? And another thing, what makes you think he'll even be there? There's no way he could know they're planning on going to the movies in the first place. It has to have been dumb luck he saw Sue and Kevin there last weekend."

 

"If you think that, then why have you been being so protective of her?" Will asked.

 

"Because Arch is a bastard. I wouldn't put it past him to…oh, okay. If he's stalking her then he would have known."

 

"Exactly."

 

Sue shivered. "That's downright scary."

 

"You haven't had any contact with him since you broke up?"

 

"Not after the first couple of weeks when he was calling every few hours or showing up at my apartment building. I thought he finally got the message that I didn't want him around."

 

"Where does he live?" Will asked them.

 

"Good question," Charlie replied. "I tried to go see him a week after Sue broke off with him, to tell him to back off and quit bothering her. He'd moved and the building manager said she had no idea where to."

 

Will nodded. "Probably not surprising. So the first thing we do, if he does show up at the theater, is follow him. That will be my job." He turned to Mick. "As soon as you three leave the theater, you take off and get back here. Kevin, Sue, you two go for coffee first then come here, but join Mick at our place until I get back."

 

"What about me?" Charlie asked.

 

"If he didn't know what you look like I'd have you come with me, but—"

 

"I was thinking about that. I could dye my hair…"

 

"And wear those glasses you used last Halloween," Sue put in, "when you were dressing as a nerd."

 

Will studied Charlie. "Brown, and shorter, if you're willing to get a haircut."

 

"If it keeps Sue safe, I'll shave it off," Charlie replied.

 

"You don't have to go to that extreme." Will looked at the four young people and nodded. "We have a plan. Now let's hope to hell he shows up."

 



No comments:

Post a Comment