Sunday, January 7, 2024

42 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

"You looking for Kevin?" Charlie asked when Mick joined him at the coffee house.

 

Mick nodded. "He said he'd meet me here."

 

"He should be along pretty quick. He and Sue had to stop at the library to pick up a couple of books."

 

"Okay." Mick took a sip of his coffee, glancing around as he did. "Is it always this busy here?"

 

"Pretty much, yeah."

 

"Gives you lots of choices."

 

Charlie cocked an eyebrow, chuckling. "That is does. I've met at least two, maybe three, girls here that I've had dates with afterwards."

 

Mick laughed. "Serial dater?"

 

"Let's just say I'm testing my options. I'm not ready to settle on just one girl yet."

 

"What about Sue?"

 

"She doesn't date much."

 

"But she and Kev are, aren't they?"

 

Charlie looked as if he wanted to say something then took a drink of coffee instead. Finally he smiled slightly. "I don't think they're dating."

 

"Oh?"

 

"Look, this is strictly between us, and I may be way off base, but I've watched him for a while and to be honest, I think he might be gay. He never checks out girls. Never, ever. And he treats Sue like a sister, not a potential girlfriend, if you know what I mean."

 

"Got it, and my lips are sealed. Does she, well, think that too?"

 

Charlie nodded. "I have the feeling she does, though she hasn't said so. I think she's glad to have someone to do things with. A male someone. It makes her feel safer."

 

"Safer?"

 

"Yeah. She was going with this guy for a while and they broke up, or more she broke it off. He was the possessive type and she's real independent. Likes to do things her way." Charlie chuckled. "You might call her bossy and trust me, she is. I should know. I grew up with her."

 

"Oh boy. Yeah, I try to steer clear of girls like that myself. No give and take."

 

"Hey, she's not that bad," Charlie protested. "She just knows what she wants. But anyway, back to what I was saying. This guy was not too happy when she told him it was over. To be honest, that's why I try to spend a lot of time with her, just in case. I'm sort of glad she and Kevin hit it off because I think it'll free up my time for more important things, like"—he looked around—"that cute little redhead over there who looks like she could use some help with whatever she's studying."

 

"Go for it," Mick said with a laugh. "I'll hold down the fort until Kev and Sue get here."

No comments:

Post a Comment