Wednesday, January 17, 2024

47 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

Kevin chuckled. "She knows all about me. I made sure of that. I didn't want her getting any ideas. She promised it was just between the two of us."

 

Mick laughed. "Charlie knows. He figured it out. He told me he thinks Sue knows and is keeping it to herself. Guess she did."

 

"Good grief. Still, that's sort of weird that he's okay with it. I mean he is, isn't he?"

 

Mick nodded. "Okay, maybe I shouldn't be telling you this, and maybe I should since it could explain what happened to you." He glanced at the door. He was sure it was locked, but he could just see Will being able to unlock it somehow, coming in right then, and getting on his case for saying anything to Kevin. But still… "Okay, it seems Sue's got an ex-boyfriend who isn't too happy about being 'ex', at least from what Charlie said."

 

"Oh, hell. Why didn't she say anything?"

 

"Didn't want to worry you maybe? Or scare you off. Or make you feel like she was using you. Who knows?"

 

"That's just creepy. He could have been around when we went to the show." He frowned pensively. "I wonder if that's why Will got that vision of what would happen. I mean if both of us were there and this guy was angry that Sue was with me…" He shrugged.

 

"Maybe. I guess it's possible. Sort of a double whammy. I wonder…"

 

"What?"

 

"Maybe I shouldn't go to the movie with the two of you."

 

"But I want you to," Kevin protested, staring at him.

 

"Really?" Mick felt a small flutter in his stomach. "To act as a bodyguard?"

 

"No! Just to be there. I mean, the two of us, well the three of us, but the two of us because she knows and so she could be our cover and… and hell, that's not coming out too good, is it?"

 

Mick laughed. "Not really, but I get what you're trying to say. Sort of a date with a chaperone."

 

"Yeah! So please don't back out."

 

Mick hesitated before saying, "All right I won't, because it's you, but…"

 

"But what?"

 

"When we're outside, or in the lobby, or hell even in the theater as far as that goes, you have to act like you're with her and I'm just along for the ride."

 

Kevin nodded, obviously understanding where Mick was going with that. "So if this guy is there, he'll get pissed."

 

"Yeah." Mick tapped his fingers together. "Hang on. Don't move." Mick was on his feet and out the door seconds later. He returned with Will in tow.

 

Will looked puzzled until Mick laid out his plan, which might bring Kevin's attacker out of the woodwork again. Then he said, "Before we make any decisions, we have to talk to Sue. After all, next time this guy might decide to go after her, so she's got a right to know what we have in mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment