Monday, January 30, 2023

Everyone's Man – 49

 


"At least the two of you were thinking. That helps, but people talk," Keyes replied. "Or more to the point, they gossip. And these men have enough to lose that I wouldn't put it past them to plant someone at the hospital to listen. It's possible someone saw the two of you together when you left and wondered, especially if you're not in the habit of offering rides to anyone."

 

"Which I'm not," Marc admitted.

 

"Exactly. All it takes is a casually dropped word to another nurse, a doctor, or even between two of the janitors that work there and that could be just what those men need to figure it out."

 

Marc blew out a long breath, looking at Bill. "Colin should stay here then, if Dane's got the room."

 

"Maybe someone should ask me if I want to," Colin said sharply. "I am an adult, not a kid. I should have some say in this, I think."

 

Keyes tried to hide his surprise and hurt. "You're right. I can understand if you want to go back with them."

 

"I didn't say that. I just said I should be consulted instead of all of you talking about me like I'm not even in the room. This is my life and I know you're trying to keep me safe, but damn it, I want some input in the decisions."

 

"The pup has teeth," Marc said, grinning a bit.

 

Keyes winced. Colin chuckled, giving him a wide-eyed look back and batting his eyelashes.

 

"Am I missing something here?" Bill asked, puzzled.

 

"Not really," Keyes said quickly.

 

"Yes," Colin replied at the same time. "But it's an inside joke."

 

"Don't look at me," Marc told Bill when he did. "I haven't a clue."

 

Keyes smiled slightly as he looked at Colin. "Okay, 'pup', are you willing to stay here?"

 

Smiling back at him, Colin nodded. "As long as you don't tell me to heel or sit, yeah. I guess so."

 

2 comments: