Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Everyone's Man – 46

 

 

Colin snorted as he walked past Keyes, wanting to look at the pictures Keyes had hanging along both sides of the narrow hallway. "Before I'm done with you, you'll be living in sweats, or at least jeans that look like you've owned them for more than a day," he tossed over his shoulder.

 

"Before you're done with me?" Keyes chuckled as he joined Colin in front of the row of pictures, impulsively ruffling Colin's hair.

 

Colin spun around, growling, swatting his hand away. "Don't touch the hair. It takes forever to get it just perfect."

 

"You are so kidding me."

 

An impish grin lit Colin's face. "Yeah I am, but it goes with the image. Right?"

 

Keyes looked him over, definitely amused. "Right. It fits the over-sized shirt and baggy sweats. You, Colin, need to go shopping."

 

"And you're going to take me?" Colin's face lit up in anticipation before it sobered. "Well, when I get hold of some cash that is."

 

"I can pay…" Keyes started to say, stopping when Colin glared at him. "Well, I could, and just call it a loan until you're back on your feet again."

 

"Maybe." Needing to get his emotions under control before he did something stupid, Colin turned back to the pictures. Most of them were of groups of men, the majority wearing police uniforms as they stood stiffly before the camera. "Guys you work with?" Colin asked.

 

"Yes." Keyes tapped one of the photos. "That's me, ages ago."

 

"You were young, and cute."

 

"Were? I think I'm insulted."

 

"Well you still are cute, in a handsome, rugged way," Colin replied with a laugh. He studied that picture for a moment before moving on. Then his body tensed. "That man," he pointed with a trembling finger. "Who is he?"

 

It was a photo obviously taken at some ceremony with cops lined up behind several men and women in civilian clothing. The one that had caught Colin's attention stood half in shadow at the end of the front row.

 

Resting a hand on Colin's shoulder, Keyes peered at the picture. "He's the police chief's son-in-law. Why?"

 

Colin's hissed between clenched teeth. "He was there that night. He's one of them."

 

"Colin, are you certain? It's not the best picture of him."

 

"Then find me a better one." Every line of his body was rigid with the need to stay in control as he turned to look at Keyes. "Because, yeah, I'm real sure it's the same man."

 

 

2 comments: