Saturday, January 28, 2023

Everyone's Man – 48

 

"By rights, we should all be down at the station so I can handle this officially," Keyes said, once Marc and Bill had arrived at his condo and had been filled in on the details.

 

"Wouldn't that be hard, considering who the man is?" Marc asked.

 

"It would, which is why we're here instead. I'm not about to tell my chief his son-in-law is a rapist until we have solid proof."

 

"So my word counts for nothing?" Colin said angrily.

 

"It counts for everything, in my book," Keyes replied. "But we have to be realistic. It will be your word against his when it comes down to it. And," he said, forestalling the question he knew Marc would ask, "unless we have outside proof, there's no way we can force him to give us a DNA sample to check against what we got from Colin and the second victim."

 

"So we're stuck in limbo," Bill muttered.

 

Keyes nodded. "To a degree, although there are things I can do. For one, I'll try to find out who's in his social circle, because I suspect at least some of them were also involved, up to and including the man who set the whole thing up."

 

"Is there any word about the three names we have from my contact online?"

 

"Not so far, and my people know to call me the moment they get anything."

 

By then, Colin had moved away from the others to stand at the window. He stared out over the darkening city. When Marc realized it and started toward him, Bill put a hand on his arm and shook his head. Marc started to protest, then realized that Keyes was already beside Colin, whispering as he put an arm around his waist. Colin stiffened visibly at the touch then seemed to lean back into it with a small nod of his head. It took a few minutes of quiet conversation before the detective brought Colin back, gesturing to the sofa. When Colin sat, Keyes was right beside him, one hand resting on his arm.

 

"I presume that man hasn't shown up at the hospital again," Keyes said, addressing Marc.

 

"Not that anyone's told me. I'm hoping he's decided I have no idea where Colin is and don't care. You were careful when you were there?"

 

"Very. I'm not about to let them find him on my watch."

 

"What happens when you start looking into the son-in-law, whoever he is? Will that send up red flags?"

 

Keyes felt Colin tense at the question and then relax when he rubbed his arm. "The guy's named Marcus Randall. I'm not planning on becoming his bosom buddy. However, I do know someone who can help me. A family friend."

 

Bill nodded. "So what can we do?"

 

"You two will do absolutely nothing," Keyes replied sternly, looking at Marc and Bill. "In point of fact, I'm tempted to make Colin stay here, just on the off chance that these men have figured out he's been at your place."

 

"How would they?" Marc asked. "It's not as if he's been in and out since he got there. Today's the first time he's left."

 

"We were very careful when I first left the hospital," Colin told Keyes. "I didn't even look like me. I was wearing scrubs and a cap and so was Marc. Well not the cap, but I was just like half the people that run around there."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment