Friday, January 20, 2023

Everyone's Man – 44

 

Keyes watched with amusement as Colin wandered around the large living room, checking everything out. When he passed the windows, Colin stopped and whistled in appreciation.

 

"You can see half the city from here. Nice."

 

"That's what really sold me on this place, all the windows and the balconies."

 

"There's more than one?"

 

"You bet. Here and off my bedroom."

 

Colin grinned. "You ever sleep on that one?"

 

"I could, I suppose, though I haven't. I'm partial to my creature comforts."

 

"I can tell." Colin glanced at the long, dark beige sofa and matching armchair in the center of the room; both facing the huge wide-screen television on one wall. Then he strolled over to the far wall to check out Keyes's collection of books. "Don't you read any fiction?"

 

"Not really. You do?"

 

Colin turned and nodded. "When I have time, yeah. It gets me away from real life." He chuckled. "I could so get into being a super spy."

 

Keyes tried not to laugh as he looked at the delicate young man. "You'd definitely throw everyone off the trail."

 

"Well, in my imagination, I'm a bit more 'manly'," Colin grumbled as he wandered away from the bookshelves.

 

"Now why would you want to change your image? You're cute and sexy, which would work if you're going to be a spy."

 

Leaning against the back of the sofa, Colin arched an eyebrow high enough that it got buried under his heavy bangs. "That seems to be how everyone sees me. They always have."

 

"Perhaps because it's what you are. There's not a damned thing wrong with it you know. I find it…" Keyes bit back the rest of his words, not wanting Colin to think he was trying to make a move on him. "Come on, I'll show you the kitchen."

 

"You find it what, Dane?" Colin asked, not budging from where he was.

 

Keyes hesitated before replying. "Appealing."

 

"That's what you say about a puppy when he gives you those big, sad eyes."

 

"There is that quality about you."

 

Hurt flashed across Colin's face. "Is that why I've become your pet project?" Pushing off the sofa with a scowl he walked to the front door. "Take me back to Marc's."

 

"Now just a damned minute, Colin." Keyes paced across the intervening space to look down at him. "You are not some project. If you were, I would have taken you back home already, not invited you here."

 

Colin stared up at him in confusion. "You said 'no strings'."

 

"And there aren't any. This was…" Keyes searched for the right words. "If I say a friendly invitation, you'll be back to thinking it was done out of pity or wherever your mind was taking you. If I tell you I find you interesting you'll still take it the wrong way."

 

"No shit." Colin's voice was tinged with anger but the look he gave Keyes was filled with something close to hope that he was reading the right things into Keyes's words.

 

"You have the puppy dog eyes down pat," Keyes told him with a slight grin

 

The scowl returned to Colin's face as he moved away. Keyes wasn't going to let that happen. He grabbed Colin's shoulders and held him where he stood. Immediately he realized that was the wrong thing to do when Colin froze, terror lining his young face and distrust welling in his troubled eyes. He dropped his hands instantly even though he wanted nothing more than to take Colin in his arms and do whatever it took to erase his fear. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that," he said softly.

 

Colin stared at him for a long moment, unseeing, before shaking his head to clear it. "Is it…will it always be like this?"

 

"Not if I can help it," Keyes replied gently, holding out his arms. When Colin didn't move into them he let them fall. "Come on, I'll take you home."

No comments:

Post a Comment