Tuesday, October 8, 2019

One Plus Two Equals... – 9


As soon as Julyan left, Auden returned to what he was supposed to be doing. "This is a damned waste of time," he grumbled, even though he knew it wasn't.
He found out for certain it wasn't a while later when, several minutes apart, cars stopped in front of the building to let out passengers. Four of them were return visitors. Two others were, as far as he knew, there for the first time but that didn't mean he didn't recognize them. And the plot thickens.
He continued to watch while wondering why they weren't trying to hide the fact they were there. Either Vicario is overconfident or there's some method behind his madness. He suspected the latter from what he'd heard about the man.
With all that was going on he completely forgot about Julyan until he suddenly appeared by his side holding, unbelievably, two mugs of coffee.
"I figured… well…" Julyan shrugged.
"Yes?"
"Never mind, it was a bad idea." He started toward the fire escape.
"I could use some coffee."
Julyan came back, set one of the mugs down beside Auden and turned to leave.
"And some company."
"You're sure?"
"Yes, I'm sure. Sit…please. No, not there," Auden barked out when Julyan started to sit on the parapet. "Sorry, but I don't want to be picking pieces of you up off the sidewalk." Nor did he want anyone looking up and seeing Julyan. It could give away the fact someone was watching the building.

* * * *

Julyan smiled slightly as he dropped down to sit cross-legged on the roof. After taking a drink of his coffee he looked thoughtfully at Auden. "So why are you up here? It's too dark to take pictures now."
"Actually it's not, with a good camera. I'm here doing a shoot for a photography magazine."
"Okay, if you say so."
Auden's amber eyes twinkled. "You don't sound like you believe me."
"Should I?"
"It makes me no never mind one way or the other."
Julyan shook his head. "You're strange."
"So I've been told, by more people than I care to think about." Auden looked at the coffee mug by his side. "I owe you for this."
"Oh come on, it's just a cup of coffee to make up for our not going out for some."
"No, seriously, I owe you." Auden gripped Julyan's shoulder, pulling him close enough so he could lock lips with him in a hard kiss.

6 comments: