Monday, October 14, 2019

One Plus Two Equals... - 12


"I'm beat, but not tired," Julyan proclaimed as he got ready to leave the restaurant. "I was thinking, maybe we should go for coffee and unwind. It's only ten." He looked at Jack then glanced at Duane who was turning off the last of the lights. "Anyone up for that?"
Jack pounced on the idea, before realizing he wasn't really the one Julyan wanted to say 'Yes' to his question. "On the other hand," he said quickly, "I think I'll head back to the apartment. There's a show I wanted to catch."
Duane paused before nodding. "Sure, coffee someplace besides here sounds good to me. Or, there's a small bar a couple of blocks away if you want something stronger."
"A glass of wine maybe, that's my limit." Julyan suddenly wondered what the hell he was doing. Well, he knew, but he had the feeling he was going about it the wrong way and so was doomed to failure. Despite what Jack had suggested, he was still very sure Duane was straight. If anything, he'd decided to go along with the idea just to be nice. He quickly turned to catch Jack's attention before he disappeared. "Come on, you can miss the show. We need to celebrate, you, me, and Duane."
Jack shrugged and nodded. "Whatever. I guess I could use a beer. But just one because we have to do this all over again tomorrow."
"Go out to celebrate?" Duane asked with a laugh as he waited for them to leave so he could lock up.
Jack grinned. "No, work. And we have this slave-driver of a boss who expects us to show up on time."
"I am not a slave-driver."
"A stern taskmaster?"
"A benevolent employer."
"Okay, I'll accept that, I guess."
Duane suggested they walk to the bar. While they did, he and Jack continued their bantering. Julyan listened, amused even as he wished he had the ability to do that.
Apparently realizing Julyan was feeling left out, Duane slung an arm around his shoulders. "So which am I, the Grinch or an angel?"
"Definitely an angel," Julyan replied, trying not to react to Duane's touch. Now if he was as forward as Auden… He licked his lips, remembering the kiss.
Duane looked at him, a slight smile turning up the corners of his mouth. "Thinking of someone else? I do believe I'm hurt." He clapped his hand to his chest in mock dismay.
"No, no. I was…I, umm, ate a slice of Maxine's pie and the taste is still on my lips."
"Let's see." Duane pulled to a stop in the middle of the sidewalk, turned Julyan to face him then leaned close enough to brush his tongue over his lips. "It was the apple one," he said, grinning.
Julyan looked at him in shock. Did he just…? He heard Jack snort softly from behind Duane and saw him mouth, 'Told you'.
As if nothing out of the ordinary had happened, Duane put his arm back around Julyan's shoulders to steer him toward the bar, which as just a few feet away.

4 comments:

  1. Apple cobbler is amazing! I will have to try that with hubby. Lol in the nation you would be a wonderful story teller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple anything can be pretty amazing, done right. LOL

      Delete
  2. Duane is a character ... let's see what else he does.. Love me some apple lips!

    ReplyDelete