Sunday, October 6, 2019

One Plus Two Equals... – 8


"You seem to be fixated on the Crown Building," Julyan said.
Auden nodded. "It's an interesting structure and the people who go in and out are definitely a cross-section of humanity."
"Most of the people on the streets around the city are, when it comes right down to it, between the locals and the tourists."
"So tell me, Julyan, what do you do besides hanging out on rooftops waxing philosophical with strangers?"
"I work at a restaurant, or will starting tomorrow."
"Oh? Which one?"
"It's new. Tomorrow's the grand opening so you probably haven't heard of it."
"Well, if you don't tell me the name I might never hear of it," Auden pointed out with a smile.
"1803."
Auden looked bemused. "1803?"
"Yes. It's both the street address and, according to Mr. Reives, the date of the Louisiana Purchase. He said he got lucky that the building was vacant just when he was looking. You should see what he did with one wall. It has the entire history of the city on it with newspaper clippings and photographs and antique thingies and—"
"Antique thingies?" Auden laughed.
"Yes. Well, I don't know what else to call them. There's keys and bits of guns and a really old hand-mirror and…" Julyan shrugged. "You'll just have to come see for yourself. It's fantastic!"
After checking to be certain there was no unusual activity in front of the Crown Building at the moment, Auden turned his attention back to Julyan. "You sound quite taken with Mr. Reives."
"Duane's a nice man, or at least as far as I can tell he is. But…"
"But?"
Julyan shook his head. "Nothing, and I should get going so you can get back to what you were doing." He stood, holding out a hand to Auden. "It was nice meeting you."
"You as well." Auden shook his hand, saying as he did, "If you're free later and feel like coffee…"
"I… Maybe."
"Number?" Auden took out his phone, smiling when Julyan hesitantly gave it to him. "I promise I'm not a stalker. If I call and you say no then that's the end of it."
"All right." Much to Auden's amusement, Julyan almost ran to the fire escape, calling back. "But not too late. I have to work tomorrow."
"Got it."

4 comments:

  1. Such a great get to know the characters post. I wonder if people are just blind sometimes to the lust or love from someone, or they see it but cannot believe or give it back? Maybe something within their past has made it impossible to reach out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be any of those. Time will tell, as always.

      Delete
  2. ah the conflict of liking two people at the same time.. Loving it so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's definitely betwix and between right now. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete