Wednesday, October 16, 2019

One Plus Two Equals... - 13


Once they were settled at one end of the bar, drinks in front of them, Duane turned to look seriously at Julyan. "Did it bother you I did that?"
Julyan slowly shook his head. "No. It was a surprise, but…no, it didn't bother me in the least."
Duane chuckled. "Then I did something wrong."
Uncertain how to respond, Julyan opted for silence, which obviously wasn't the right thing to do because Duane frowned, turning away to talk to Jack. Hesitantly he touched Duane's shoulder. "You could have kissed me. Really." And where the hell did that come from?
"I could have," Duane agreed, his attention now back on Julyan, "and risked you pushing me away, so I opted for being a tease."
Julyan's thoughts immediately flew to his doing just that to Auden the previous night. He met Duane's gaze, startled to see his eyes were deep amber. Why hadn't he ever noticed that before? Probably because I never really looked into them. They reminded him of someone else's. It took him a moment to remember whose. Auden's. His were almost the same color, maybe a shade lighter. Too strange.
The silence between them grew until Julyan realized he should say something in reply to Duane's words. "I wouldn't have pushed you away."
Duane's reply was to lean in, pressing a gentle kiss to Julyan's lips. Julyan didn't move for a moment then put one hand on the back of Duane's neck as he returned it.
"It's about time. I've wanted to do this since, well almost since I met you, but the time was never quite right, and I am your boss." Duane smiled. "Wouldn't want you reporting me for sexual harassment."
"I wouldn't!" Julyan said in shock before he got that Duane was teasing him.
"I hope not." Duane drew his finger lightly along the line of Julyan's jaw. "Because then I couldn't kiss you again."
"You… You can… Kiss me again, that is."
"I just might." Duane sighed when the sound of his cell interrupted him. He flicked it open, looked at what Julyan presumed was a text message, and closed it. "Sorry. Something's come up." He stood, bent to kiss Julyan lightly, saying, "More to come but not right now," and after tossing some cash on the bar strode quickly away.
"What the hell!"
Jack shrugged. "Probably something to do with the restaurant."
"At this hour?"
"Who knows? I'm sure he'll explain tomorrow. Are you ready to head home?"
"Yes." Julyan looked at his glass, which was still full, and pushed it aside. "Let's get out of here."

6 comments:

  1. And the plot thickens.. kisses and late text messages... intrigue and attraction... always a good combo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhhhh Duane is not showing good colors here. But I didn’t date very much as I didn’t trust. So maybe this was all good but Julyan came across as disappointed or unsure of the feelings not being there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Julyan was both, which could determine what happens next.

      Delete