Saturday, October 26, 2019

One Plus Two Equals... - 18


Closing time came and with it Duane was faced with a problem of his own making—what to do about Julyan. He knew what he'd like to do, explore his attraction to the younger man. An attraction he was certain was reciprocated. He also knew doing so would just lead to more problems. Don't mix pleasure with business, he admonished himself yet again.
"Do you… umm, feel like going out to that bar again?"
Duane turned to look at Julyan and couldn't help smiling at the hopeful look on his face. "What the hell. Sure, why not," he replied, effectively throwing every thought he'd had about not becoming involved with him to the four winds.
Chuckling under his breath at Julyan's apparent impatience when it took him several minutes to make certain everything was turned off before locking up, Duane finally announced he was ready. As they walked to the bar, Duane was tempted to put his arm around Julyan's waist, only resisting because he knew he shouldn't move too quickly. The kisses last night had been pure impulse. Tonight he vowed to take things slowly and see what happened.
After ordering drinks, Duane suggested they take them and find a table. The bar was crowded but luck was with them, a couple left and they snagged the small table at the back of the room before anyone else could.
Once they were seated Duane asked, apropos of nothing, "Have you been to college?"
"No. I was enrolled but money suddenly became a problem so…"
"You didn't apply for a loan? It seems to be what everyone does these days."
"It was too late by then. The money was there and then my mother got sick." Julyan barely whispered, "Very sick."
"And the money went for her treatment, I take it."
Julyan nodded. "I couldn't let them spend it on me when she needed it. Without it, she would have died."
Duane reached across the table to take his hand. "But she didn't, I hope."
"No, she recovered, thank God. I guess, now, if I wanted to try again I could put in for a student loan. Maybe someday I will. I just sort of lost the desire." He smiled ruefully. "I was never that good a student anyway."
"So you're going to spend the rest of your life being a waiter?"
Julyan shook his head. "What I'd really like to do, if I ever get any money saved, is open my own place the way you did."
"So I'm training my future competitor." Duane grinned, squeezing Julyan's hand before letting go.
"Maybe." Julyan grinned back. "I could have a worse teacher than you."
"Thank you." Duane toyed with his glass then took a drink.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice part. You know I love the building up. And yes if he is uncertain about Julyan then Duane needs to slow his row. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking and getting to know time.. i like it. They continue to build those threads.

    ReplyDelete