Thursday, May 23, 2019

Fear - 8


"He left earlier today," Ms Johnson told Gene. "There wasn't anything I could do to stop him, mainly because that bastard Jared never let him out of his sight long enough for me to talk to Shawn alone."

"What time did Jared show up?"

"Last night." Ms Johnson's lips pursed as if she'd tasted something sour. "It was, oh, around maybe nine, nine thirty. He had Shawn with him, so I guess he picked him up from work."

"Did Shawn look like he wanted to be with him?"

"Unfortunately, yes. He was all smiles, arm around Jared's waist and vice versa. And before you ask, it looked like Jared was sober, for once."

"What's Jared's last name, and do you know where he works, or at least worked?"

"Lewis, and I'd have to look at my records for where he said he worked." She went behind the counter to her computer. "Dang thing's practically as old I am," she complained as it took its time booting up.

Gene leaned over the counter to take a look and shook his head. I thought Windows 95 went the way of the dinosaurs.

"Don't worry," she said when she saw the look on his face. "I just use this one to store long-term renters' information. If I kept everything on my business computer I'd run out of room before I knew it." Turning back, she scrolled through file names, opened one, and nodded. "He's working, or was working, at that ski resort construction site on the other side of the Divide. Leastways that's what he put down. I suspect it's the truth but who knows if he's still there."

She wrote down the information and handed it to Gene. "You going looking for them?"

"Not really. It's not my place to. But I might call the construction company just to see if Mr. Lewis is still working for them." He smiled ruefully. "Why? Hell if I know. I just hate seeing someone being abused the way it looks like Shawn was."

"We should go up there and bring him back before…" She sighed. "But he wouldn't come with us."

Gene nodded in agreement, his gaze turning inward for a moment before he said, "People who think they love or care about their abuser, live in hope that things will change. It takes a lot to make them see the situation's not going to get any better. And even if that happens they still need to find the strength to walk away."

"You sound like you know from personal experience."

"Not really," he replied quickly, "but as a doctor I've seen too many abused adults in my time. As much as I try to make them understand the dynamics of their situation they're so deep into denial it's usually like talking to a brick wall." He smiled wryly. "And with that said, I should get back to work. I have a patient in fifteen minutes who will not be happy if I'm late."

4 comments:

  1. I really loved this one! I’m impressed with Gene! Lol I’m hoping Shawn will see how wrong his relationship is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene sounds like a wonderful, caring man.

    ReplyDelete