Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Fear - 4


"Hi, I'm Gene. Well, Eugene, if you want to be technical, but Gene to everyone who knows me."

Shawn looked at the tall, dark-haired, slightly older man standing in the doorway to his room and nodded. He stepped aside then realized he should at least introduce himself so the man, Gene, would know he was at the right place.

"Shawn Mathews," he replied with a slight tilt of his head to invite him in.

Gene entered, taking a glance around before looking back at Shawn. Digging one hand into the pocket of his jeans, he handed Shawn his phone. "Nice place you have here," he commented with a smile when Shawn took it. "Sort of motel modern with a touch of 'who cares'."

Shawn smiled back shyly. "Thank you for finding this. And yeah, I guess it is, sort of, but it's all I can afford. Especially now."

"You in town on a job? I know there's a lot of construction up the highway a bit."

"No. I work at the local garage. My…a friend and I were sharing a larger room but he had to leave and so I moved into this one because it was cheaper and, well…" Shawn rattled out, wondering as he did why he was telling this man anything.

Gene snapped his fingers. "That's why you look sort of familiar. I saw you there when I brought my car in for a tune-up."

"Probably," Shawn agreed, wishing Gene would leave so he could shower and get ready for work. He still had an hour until he was due there, but the way he felt he suspected he'd need all of it just to start feeling human again. So he said, again, "Thank you for returning my phone," hoping Gene would get the message.

"Hey, not a problem. If you're like me, you probably have your whole life on the thing so it sucks when you lose it." Gene must have seen something in Shawn's face or body language because he added, "I'll get moving now. Places to go, things to do, as they say. Maybe I'll see you again…at the garage."

"Maybe. And thank—"

"I think two thanks are enough," Gene broke in with a laugh. "Until next time." With that he turned on his heel and left, closing the door behind him.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome I am so excited to keep reading! I am going every which way in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of your which ways may be right, some may not. *G*

      Delete