Friday, May 17, 2019

Fear - 5


It was two days before Gene showed up at the garage, which surprised Shawn. Not the fact it took two days but the fact Gene had shown up at all, especially since he was on foot.

Gene went straight to Mr. Spitzer's office. Probably settling a bill or they're friends. Shawn turned back to the carburetor he was working on.

When Shawn felt a tap on his shoulder, he was startled enough he almost dropped the screwdriver he was holding. Turning, he saw Gene standing right behind him.

"Thought I'd see how you were doing," Gene told him with a smile. "Lose any more phones?"

"Umm, no, sir," Shawn replied shyly, staring off to the side rather than at the older man.

Gene chuckled. "Didn't figure you had." There was a long pause before he said, "I hear your 'friend' tried to beat you up."

Shawn swallowed hard. "He hit me, but only because he was angry and, umm, had had too much to drink and well, I deserved it sort of because I came back later than I should have. Than he expected."

"Shawn…" Gene sighed. "Look, no one deserves to be hit unless they start a fight, a physical one. Did he do that often?"

Finally looking at him, Shawn shook his head. "Not… not too often. Just when I did something he didn't approve of. Usually he was nice to me. He treated me pretty good." Feeling suddenly defensive, he said, "Why do you care anyway? You don't even know me."

"You're right, I don't. That doesn't mean I shouldn't care that you were being abused by someone."

"It wasn't abuse! He was just punishing me when I…"

"Did something he didn't approve of. I get that. Or rather I get that's what you think was going on. It was still abuse."

Angry now, Shawn turned away. "Just mind your own business, okay? He's gone now, so it's a dead issue."

"I'm sorry. You're right; it isn't any of my business."

Shawn heard him walk away and sighed in relief. "It's not your business," he muttered. "It's not anyone's business."

4 comments:

  1. He’s so in denial! Love Shawn but he has to start thinking of himself and figuring the things that was done to him was not right or out of love! Great installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's totally in denial. It happens way too often with people suffering abuse.

      Delete
  2. Poor Shawn. Just cannot accept the facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he can't, and maybe never will, without help.

      Delete