Monday, May 13, 2019

Fear - 3


"Mr. Mathews, Mr. Mathews…"

Shawn opened his eyes, shutting them instantly again the glare of sunlight coming in through the motel room window.

"Mr. Mathews, you have a phone call in my office." Ms Johnson rapped on the door. "Are you awake?"

"Yeah, I am now," he muttered, squinting against the light as he unsteadily stood up. "Yes, Ms Johnson, I am. I'll be right there."

Damn, I feel like shit. And why is someone calling me on the motel phone? Maybe it's Jared!

His pulse leapt then dropped when it occurred to him Jared would call on his cell phone. But still…

He dug into his pocket of his jeans, realizing two things as he did—he was still wearing them from last night and his phone wasn't there. "Shit, where the hell is it?"

He opened the door to see Ms Johnson already heading back to the office. Looking around, he saw his keys on the dresser, grabbed them, and followed her.

When he got to the office, she pointed to the phone, the handset lying on the countertop. "Hello," he said tentatively after picking it up.

"Shawn Mathews?" a voice he didn't recognize asked.

"Umm, yeah."

"Good. I found your phone on the floor, half under the bar at the Blue Devil. Luckily you had the motel number listed or I wouldn't have known to call here."

"Damn, thanks for, well, calling and umm…"

There was a low chuckle from the man. "I take it you didn't miss it until now?"

"No. Yeah, well—just a moment ago."

"You going to be there for a few minutes? I'm at home right now. Figured calling at two thirty in the morning probably wouldn't have done much good, knowing Ms Johnson. I'll bring it over."

"Trust me. I'm not going anywhere except back to my room."

There was another chuckle. "Had a few too many last night? Not that it's any of my business. I'll see you in a couple. What's the room number?"

"Two-ten, and thanks."

"No problem. Had that happen… Eh, never mind."

The man hung up and Shawn placed the receiver back in the cradle. Then, after thanking Ms Johnson, he returned to his room.

4 comments:

  1. Aarrrgggg you could have gave me just a little bit more! Lol I love it! I’m wondering about the bar person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder away. You'll find out more on Wednesday. *G*

      Delete
  2. Hmm, looking for more - to come

    ReplyDelete