Friday, October 18, 2019

One Plus Two Equals... - 14


Auden trained the camera on the Crown Building. It was late, the interior lights were off, even on the first two floors which held the shops and restaurants. He wasn't certain why his boss had wanted him back here but when ordered he did as he was told.
Then a light came on in a window on the fourth floor. He pointed the camera at it, focusing in. Too much of an angle. He moved until he was directly facing it, smiling in triumph as he shot a series of pictures.
Well, it's beginning to look like we have the full complement of players now. So what's next?
He started to put the camera back into its case. He was certain he had what he'd been sent to get. Then he saw one more person come into the room.
"Shit and damnation," he muttered.
"Oh, sorry. I'll go."
Auden swung around. I'm losing my edge. How did he…? "Hey, I wasn't swearing at you. I didn't even hear you."
Julyan glanced down at his stocking feet. "Sorry. I was just coming up here to think and…" he shrugged. "I didn't know you'd be here. Why are you here?"
"Because it's a good place to think?" Auden grinned at him.
"Umm hmm, sure. Do you always swear when you're thinking?"
"Not always." He needed to get Julyan to leave so he could get pictures to prove the man he'd seen was indeed involved in Vicario's plans. "Look, I don't suppose you have any more of that coffee, do you? Well, not the coffee from last night, but coffee brewing?"
"Not brewing, but I could make some if you really want it."
Julyan looked so hopeful, Auden smiled. "I'd love some. We can drink it up here and commune with our thoughts together."
"I'll be right back!"
As soon as Julyan was gone, Auden started taking pictures again, this time keeping an ear open for him. When he had enough he took out his phone and texted his boss to let him know he'd been on the right track sending him back here.
With that done, Auden moved to the side of the roof facing the cross-street, sitting down to rest his back against the parapet. He figured that way, when Julyan got back, he wouldn't have to worry about anyone seeing the two of them up here. Or at least anyone who might care.

4 comments:

  1. Oohhhh love how many characters are in play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds interesting!! i so want more... loving this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are, Cindy. There will be more...unless I decide to quit posting. As if. LMAO

      Delete