Thursday, December 29, 2022

Everyone's Man – 33

 

A few minutes later Marc opened the office door, nodding to the detective to come back in.

 

"So?" Keyes said once the door was closed.

 

"He's agreed to let you have the kit. Not happily, but he understands why it's necessary." Marc sat down at his desk, drumming his fingers. "Look, Detective, I don't know if you've ever dealt with a situation like this before but you need to understand that he's still processing what happened to him. And he's in hiding because the man responsible wants to find him again. He called Colin while he was here and then we think he showed up here looking for him yesterday. At least someone did."

 

"And you didn't call us," Keyes growled.

 

"I wasn't inclined to put the kind of pressure on Colin that your people would use. It really is his choice and he hasn't been willing to talk to anyone but me and my partner." Marc sighed. "Up until today, we thought this was a one-time thing aimed strictly at Colin for something that happened earlier."

 

"What?" Keyes asked, taking out his notebook again.

 

"Not my story to tell."

 

"Damn it, Doctor, we now have two young men, both gang-raped and one dead. What has to happen before you open up and let me know what Mr. Wilcox said to you?"

 

Marc sighed. "Look, it's not that I don't want to help you, but I have to consider the welfare of my patient. Not to tell you your business, but you have to prove it was the same people involved in both cases. "If it is, then I'll consider the next step. So, do you want to take both kits to your forensic people?"

 

"I'll do you one better. I'll get it done here since one of our crime lab people works here too. That should get us results much faster, if we're lucky."

 

Marc nodded. "Do you need me to walk you over?"

 

"I know the way, thanks," Keyes replied.

 

Once the detective had left, Marc took a few minutes to compose himself. Colin had been less than enthusiastic about the fact the police were now aware of what had happened to him. Point of fact, he'd been very upset, and Marc could tell that if Bill hadn't been there with him, the young man might have taken off. As it was, Marc thought that was still a possibility so he hoped Keyes got the information he needed quickly. If it turned out these were two separate cases, then Marc could call and let Colin know that he was out of the picture if he still insisted he didn't want to talk to the police.

 

If they were related, however, Marc prayed Colin would understand the necessity of letting Keyes interview him.

 

 

2 comments: