Thursday, December 15, 2022

Everyone's Man – 26

 

 

Marc stretched and felt everything pop back into place. The night had been long and full of small dramas, so this was the first time he'd had a chance to take a break and grab some coffee.

 

"You going to make it?" one of the other doctors asked.

 

"I have a choice?" Marc laughed while checking the board for what was next.

 

"Oh, by the way, while you were with the kid with the sliced thumb some man came in looking for you."

 

"Did he leave a name?"

 

"No. Just said he had to talk to you about some patient you had a few days ago."

 

Marc frowned. "Talk to me, specifically?" He got a cold feeling in the pit of his stomach.

 

"Well more that he needed to talk to the doctor who took care of some young man who'd been found on the street. I figured that was probably you because of that rape victim you handled."

 

"Did you tell him my name?"

 

"No, just that you were working this shift and would be around until early morning."

 

"Okay, thanks for the heads-up." Marc paused before asking, "What did he look like, just in case he comes back?"

 

"Tall, distinguished, white at the temples, pure businessman if you know what I mean. Sort of familiar but I couldn't put a name to him. Maybe I saw his picture in a newspaper or on TV." He shrugged.

 

Marc nodded. "And he's probably a family member who wants to give me a tongue lashing because I let the kid go too soon or some such. Like I have any control over that."

 

The doctor rolled his eyes. "Yep. Why they pick on us for that is beyond me." He smiled before walking away.

 

Checking the time, Marc debated calling Bill to warn him just in case, then decided against it since he'd be leaving the hospital in an hour anyway. He just had to make certain no one was watching when he did.

 

Someone tapped his shoulder and he spun around defensively.

 

"Whoa, what's got you so uptight?" Tabby asked.

 

"Nothing."

 

"Marc?"

 

"Well," he paused as an idea hit him. "Are you off soon?"

 

"Same time you are, why?"

 

"Could I sneak a ride home with you?"

 

"Sneak?" Tabby's eyebrows shot up. "More problems with Bill?"

 

"Actually, no. We're on our way to working things out now. It's Colin, or more that I think someone was here trying to find out where he's gotten to."

 

"Which would be your place I take it. Sure, I'll get you there without anyone knowing." She grinned. "I always wanted to do the spy bit."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment