Friday, December 9, 2022

Everyone's Man – 23


 

Stepping back Marc looked at him. "Okay, who are you and what did you do with the real Bill?"

 

"I think the 'real Bill' has been in hiding for a long time," he said in response. "At least I hope the 'me' you've been dealing with for the past year isn't who I am. If so you have every right to turn to someone else, like the kid in there."

 

"I'm not turning to him. Sure he's cute, sexy even, but you're the one I fell for so long ago. Although honestly I've been having second thoughts about that recently, because I don't like the emotional blackmail you've been throwing my way."

 

Bill turned away. Seeing his own reflection in the darkened window over the sink, he stared at it for a long while. "I've done things I'm not proud of in terms of how I've treated you," he said quietly when Marc moved into view. "I… After I left you this morning I started thinking about the little scene I made at the elevator. I didn't like what I saw. I don't mean you and Colin together, though I wasn't too happy with that, in case you didn't notice." He smiled wryly. "I mean me and the ass I've become." Turning, he looked at Marc. "I've always been one to get jealous, a bad flaw in my character I know, but until recently I didn't let it rule my life. At least I tried not to."

 

Marc nodded. "When we first met, I thought it was sort of, I don't know, appealing I suppose, that you would be jealous. It made me feel like I was special to you."

 

"You are and when we were with each other like normal couples I was able to control it."

 

"Then I started working nights."

 

"Yes. The fact that you're working nights is no damned excuse for how I've been acting, I know," Bill said. "But I think of you there with all the cute doctors hanging around and my imagination takes hold and blossoms."

 

Marc snorted softly. "Have you ever seen the doctors there? Crusty and curmudgeonly, yes. Cute? Not really. Hell, compared to most of them I'm an Adonis and trust me, I'm far from that."

 

Bill chuckled. "I don't know. In my eyes, you're damned close."

 

"Yeah? Well then you need glasses, mister."

 

"Maybe, but what I really need, if you're willing, is for you to let me make it up to you for the last year or more of hell I've put you through."

 

Marc cupped his face in his hands. "It hasn't all been hell, love. If it had been I wouldn't still be here."

 

"Then we can try again to make this work?"

 

"If you don't mind my telling you you're being an ass when you start turning green."

 

"Please do. It's not a terribly flattering color, at least under certain circumstances." Bill brushed a finger along Marc's jaw. "I'll try my best to avoid it from now on."

 

Catching Bill's hand, Marc kissed the palm before pulling him into a tight hug. "That's all I can ask." He smiled at his partner. "I do love you."

 

"I know, but I also know you were starting to wonder if that was true." Bill kissed Marc softly. "I'm going to prove to you that I'm worthy of your love."

 

"You are. We've just had a little glitch in things, and I don't expect you to change overnight. Honest."

 

"But I'm for damned sure going to try to. And speaking of over night, I think you're going to be late to work if you don't get moving."

 

Marc glanced at the clock. "Yeah, but it will be worth it." He pressed a quick but promise-filled kiss on Bill's lips. "Love you."

 

"Love you." Bill watched as Marc started out of the kitchen. "Hey," he said as something suddenly occurred to him. "What do I do about our guest?"

 

Marc looked at him seriously. "Be there for him if he needs someone to talk to. That's the best thing you can do." Then he smiled impishly. "And keep your hands off him."

 

Bill laughed. "That's supposed to be my line. Or it used to be. But I will, I promise."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment