Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 27


 

Rather than replying, Randall drummed his fingers on the file that Colin was pretty certain contained the information on Logan's murder. "Where were you Sunday night into early Monday morning, Mr. Ainsley?"

 

"What?" Colin looked at him in disbelief.

 

"Can you account for your time from eleven P.M. Sunday until two A.M. Monday?"

 

"You can't be suggesting I killed Logan," Colin spat out.

 

"Just answer the question."

 

"Where do you think I was? Home, sleeping."

 

"Can you prove it?"

 

"Good lord, no. I live alone." Then Colin snapped his fingers. "Maybe I can. I have a security system that logs when it's turned on and off. It was Thomas's, Mr. Michaelson's idea. He's the man who owns the gallery that handles my art. He said that way, if I was robbed, the police would know exactly when it happened. He's got the same thing on his system at the gallery."

 

"You won't object if I send someone to take a look?"

 

"Of course not!" Staring hard at him, Colin said, "You think I killed Logan? Why would I? I don't even know him."

 

"To be honest, I don't think it was you, but I have to cover all bases. When I thought about it, it occurred to me that since it was, as you pointed out, the tenth anniversary of your brother's murder, you might have gone off the deep end in an attempt to get the Jeffco sheriff's department to reopen the case."

 

Colin looked at him, aghast. "Fuck! Are you kidding me? That would be crazy."

 

Randall smiled dryly. "Believe me, stranger things have happened, and you do know all the details about his murder. We talked about a copycat. You're an obvious person to be able to carry it off."

 

"Well, I didn't, damn it!"

 

"I believe you, although I'll still send someone to check your security system."

 

"Fine. Have at it." Colin took a deep breath. "Sorry, I know you're doing your job but I swear I'm not that crazy."

 

Chuckling, Randall replied, "I don't think you are."

 

"You do know that all the details of Kenny's murder made the papers back when it happened, and they're on some of those websites that deal with cold cases. If someone felt the urge to try to copy one of those cases, he'd have had all the information he needed to carry it off." Colin cocked his head in question. "Are there people who do that sort of thing?"

 

"It's been known to happen. Someone looking for their fifteen minutes of fame, even though that only happens in their own head unless they get caught."

 

"Jesus."

 

"There are some very weird people out there. It's part of what keeps me employed, unfortunately."

 

"I don't envy you in the least." Colin started to stand and then asked, "Is there anything more you need from me?"

 

"Not at the moment. My man will be by sometime in the next hour."

 

"Okay. I promise I won't give him any grief."

 

Randall nodded. "I would hope not. I'll keep in touch if I learn anything more."

 

            "Thanks."

 

4 comments:

  1. Well ,that was unexpected and distressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As he said, as a detective he has to look at everyone.

      Delete
  2. Randall is doing his job but barking up the wrong tree. Or desperate

    ReplyDelete