Thursday, September 9, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 19


 

"It has to be random, doesn't it, although…" Colin frowned.

 

"Yes?"

 

"There was no reason for Kenny to be up there. He was supposed to meet me at a barbecue we were going to. He called me to say he might be late because there was something he had to do. I figured he'd decided to bring one of his girlfriends. When he didn't show up I wondered if they'd decided to do something else."

 

"Like go up to Lookout Mountain to make out?"

 

"After the fact, maybe, but I think the sheriff or the investigations chief talked with all of them. Not that he had a string of them, but."

 

"Got it, and I'm sure they would have." Randall thumbed through the file on his desk, stopping at a page, before saying, "The victim is Gene Logan. His roommate told us that Logan was supposed to be at work. When I talked with his boss, he said Logan had called in sick."

 

"Did he have a girlfriend?" Colin asked.

 

"More than his fair share, according to the roommate. Apparently he was quite the ladies-man. Before you go jumping to conclusions, if…and I stress if your brother was murdered by a girlfriend, the woman would be a good ten years older than Logan by now. He was twenty-three."

 

"The same as Kenny." Colin nodded. "Yeah, that wouldn't make sense, would it?"

 

"Not in my book." Randall closed the file. "I suppose it could be a copycat, although why so long after your brother's murder is the question."

 

"It happened on the anniversary," Colin replied. "For what that's worth."

 

"Maybe something, maybe coincidence, but I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for coming in. What you've told me gives me some food for thought."

 

"And you've got a dozen other cases you have to deal with, too," Colin said as he got up. "Thanks for at least listening. If you do find out anything, could you let me know or is that against the rules."

 

Randall shrugged. "Yes and no. If I do, and I need to ask you more questions, I'll be in touch."

 

"That works," Colin replied before he left the squad room, and then the building. As he drove home, he wondered if the detective would indeed update him. He decided it was unlikely.

2 comments:

  1. I hope they get whoever and solve Kenny’s murder but Colin will probably start having some issues with memories. Maybe not.

    ReplyDelete