Sunday, September 5, 2021

The Artist and the Actor – 17


 

An hour passed, during which Colin tried in vain to concentrate on the painting to the exclusion of everything else—and found it was impossible.

 

"Maybe Shane was right. Maybe I should see if I can talk to Detective…" He frowned, trying to remember the man's name from the news report. "Randolph, Ramsey? No, Randall. Frank Randall." Putting down the brush, he started down to the kitchen before realizing he'd put his phone in his pocket after Shane's call. Taking it out, he found the number for the precinct closest to where the murder had happened, dialed, and when someone answered, asked if he could speak with Detective Randall.

 

"In reference to what, sir?" the man at the other end of the line asked.

 

"The murder that happened in the Zoo's parking lot."

 

"You were a witness, or have information about it?"

 

"Well…" Colin hesitated. "Not really, but my brother was killed the same way, several years ago, and whoever did it took his car keys, but nothing else." He hoped that was enough to get him an interview with the detective.

 

"Give me your name and number and if he's interested he'll call you back."

 

If he's interested? Colin shook his head but did as the man requested before hanging up.

 

Rather than return to the studio, he decided to do what he'd started to before Shane had called and fix something to eat. He barely finished putting together a sandwich when his phone rang.

 

"Mr. Ainsley, this is Detective Randall. I understand you have some information for me."

 

"Yes, sir."

 

When Colin didn't continue, Randall said, "Well?"

 

"It would be easier if I could tell you face-to-face."

 

There was a brief pause before, with the slightest tinge of amusement in his voice, the detective replied, "For you, maybe. I'm very busy."

 

"I can come in, if you'll tell me where to find you. I live in the Wash Park area." When the detective gave him the precinct house address, Colin said he'd be there as soon as possible. "Hopefully within twenty minutes."

 

"With any sort of luck, I'll be here when you arrive," Randall replied and hung up.

6 comments:

  1. I would think that the detective would be more interested. And I cannot believe I am saying this but maybe he needs Shane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you said it, either, but you may be right. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Detective Jerk is there when Colin arrives. Colin needs to call Shane ASAP and ask him meet him at the precinct, for moral support if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably should, but whether he will is debatable.

      Delete
  4. Detective Jerk sounds like he has a lot on his plate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he does, which is why he comes across as a jerk.

      Delete